Jpg compression or no? + my tables solution

Hello,
I really like how Scrivener organizes my work.

I’ve been having similar issues w images and tables (table solution below). My question that I don’t see answered on other posts is how can I keep my image sharp and clear in Scrivener but keep the document at a smaller size for publishing? What compression works the best? I’ve been trying to put in jpgs that have no compression for clarity.

I have music examples that I’ve converted from finale mus files to jpgs, no compression. The files are around 2000 pixels wide and 300 dpi and are very sharp and clear. When I reduce it to 600 pixels it looks acceptable, when I reduce it to 150 dpi and THEN make the image 600 pixels then it’s too small and looks bad.

I have about 100 music images to put in my e textbook. What is your advice on getting the better resolution that will work in Scrivener while keeping the book file from getting too gigantic? Thank you, Kim

_______________________________Wanted to send you jpg example but I can’t see where to attach a file?

Some Solutions
Tables, I found if I make the tables narrower in Scrivener, they compile to Word okay wo clipping.
Images, I found that if the image is chopped off in Word, I can click on it and resize it. Either that or wait after compilation to add the images (I’d rather not do that).

kmilai

Are you referring to musical scores? If so, JPEG is probably the worst choice you can make, as this will be similar to images of text. Lots of detailed high-contrast (black and white) shapes in close proximity is not the sort of thing this algorithm was designed for, and with the compression setting all the way to maximum, the image is possibly even larger than a full quality 24-bit PNG.

Instead, indexed images are the best format to use for this kind of stuff. All you need is about 16 shades of grey to retain any anti-aliasing. You should be able to pack huge images into mere kilobyte sized files, and they will be crisp, no compression messiness. I suggest using PNG–8, as GIF will end up getting converted to PNG by the text engine (and PNG–24 at that, bloating the size of the graphic).

So that may be enough to keep things sharp in Scrivener but without taking up tons of space.

As for the display sizes, in my experience there is no universal answer to that in e-publishing. You may have to work with a few different sets of images (using the linked images feature) to get the absolute best result, or otherwise settle on a happy medium.

Wow I never thought of png. You’re right, the jpg even at its best isn’t really cut out for sheet music. I will definitely try that! Thank you. :smiley: