just lost all my work, also can't open .scriv files

Lost all the work I did for the past two days. :frowning:
I saved all the work I had been doing on Scrivener for 2 days and everything seems to be lost!!!
The project folder is BLANK, empty. Nothing is saved in the back up , or so it appears.
I am in shock. :frowning: I had given the folder a new title and it does not appear anywhere.
Also, I haven’t been able to open the .scriv folders, files.
I like the program but I cannot deal with losing the work.
Can someone help?
Trouble saving the drafts because duplicate versions appear in the “open recent projects” and I don’t know which is which. Then I change the name, and I lose the entire draft.
Thanks.
I don’t know if I should just abandon the program.

Rest assure agatha, in 99.99% of all cases nothing is lost with Scrivener.

1. Check if the path you are looking for is correct.
  2. Check inside of the folder, where the project should be.
  3. Have a search for *.rtf files to determine where the files really are. or/and *.scriv
    Search in all your possible volumes
    4. Do a search here for possible solutions
  4. Are you using Dropbox? Turn autosync off whilst editing. Turn on afterwards.
  5. Nothing is lost, I hope :wink:
  6. Good luck and no panic.

Hi agatha, When you say the project folder is blank and that you had gieven the folder a new title, are you talking about the project’s .scriv folder that you see when browsing files on your computer, or do you mean in the project when it is open in Scrivener? Renaming the project folder while the projet is open could definitely cause some problems, so it’s possible something like that happened, resulting in you having a couple partial copies on your machine using the original name and the new name.

I’m not quite clear if we’re talking about this folder though since you also say you’re not able to open the .scriv folders. These are just regular folders on your computer, just with an extension, so there’s nothing special about them to prevent you opening them in Windows Explorer and viewing the contents. In a typical project you should see the “project” file directly inside the .scriv folder, along with a Files folder, a Settings folder, and a Snapshots folder. The project file is the one with the yellow icon you select to open the project in Scrivener.

Since I’m a little uncertain what precisely we’re dealing with here, I’ve got a couple basic suggestions to start and then we can try to work toward specifics.

First, by default Scrivener creates a complete backup of your project each time you close, so if you haven’t checked these automatic backups yet, please go to Tools > Options in Scrivener and click the Backup tab, then use the ubtton there to open the backups folder in Windows Explorer. Copy all the backups for this project–since it sounds like you’ve renamed it a few times, I’d go ahead and get the backups you have for all the names you’ve used. Create a new folder on your desktop or in Documents to hold these and paste in all the copied backups.

Once you have the backups copied, you can sort through them to find the most recent and open those in Scrivener to check if they contain all your work. If you haven’t changed the default settings, the backups are stored as zipped archives, which means you’ll need to first extract the project from the archive before you can open it in Scrivener. You can usually do so by right-clicking the zip folder and choosing “Extract All” or by double-clicking the folder to view the contents in read-only mode and then dragging out the contained project folder.

Within Scrivener it might also be helpful to turn on the option to view the complete file path in the title bar. You can select this in the General tab of Tools > Options. This may allow you to better distinguish copies of your project stored in different locations, at least while you’re getting things straightened out.

You can also try using the Windows search tool to look for your project by name, in case you have multiple copies on your drive and are viewing the wrong one, and also to try looking for specific text within the project. This may find some numbered documents (RTF files) that contain the search term, and by viewing thier location you may find the proper copy of your project that contains all the files or a copy that contains some of them, if you ended up with partials from a renaming or such when the project was open. In the latter case we’ll probably be able to piece it all back together, but at this point it would just e helpful to discover if the files are findable on the computer and, if so, where they are.

Finally, a quick check–are you up to date with version 1.5.7 of Scrivener? (You can check in Help > About Scrivener.)