Keeping Table on one page

Scrivener hive-mind: How do I keep a table that will fit on one page, on one page and not split between two pages in a non-fiction compile? The table is about 15 rows including headers, but gets split between pages in a compile. Are there codes that keep it on a page to itself or that force Scrivener to treat it like a picture/photograph so that the table stays on only one page and the text spacing adjusts accordingly?

Tables are complicated. Software controlling them even more complicated. Scrivener’s tables are relatively simple.

For anything but the simplest tables, I do them in a spreadsheet (Excel or Numbers)–making them look as I want to fit the page. More importantly, have freer reign to make them even more fit for purpose in the document. Relatively easy to modify spacing,size, fonts, colors, to make them be terrific. Then screen shot it and paste the PNG image into the Scrivener document. I store the spreadsheet file(s) in the Research part of the Scriven Project.

No, there is no way to automatically resize tables in Scrivener.

But to be pedantic and help avoid confusion, Scrivener will resize a table which has been converted into a PNG image file to fit on one page. That’s a way this author can achieve what is wanted, I believe.

The OP appeared to already be aware of that option, and to be requesting a solution allowing the table to remain a table.

In most cases, where to place the actual table, such as whether to put it on a full-page of its own, or maybe a few paragraphs away from where you thought it should go, are the sorts of decisions you’d be making after all of the writing is done and fully edited—mainly because at that point any substantial changes to the text will require a full review of all page layout decisions in the area surrounding the edit. So in most cases, where you’re talking about is the sort of thing done way down the way in other software anyway, and one can just ignore the “placeholder output” aspect of Scrivener for what it is.

That said, if a full page for the table is the best approach, you could consider putting it into its own outline item, and create a Section Type specifically for tables that is assigned to a Layout that forces a page break at the beginning and end of the items that use it. To use the Manuscript (Times) compile Format as an example starting point:

1. Double-click the format in the left sidebar to edit it.
  2. In the Section Layouts compile format pane, locate the “New Page” layout, select it and click the + button to duplicate it. Call it something like “Full Page Layout”.
  3. Move over to the Separators compile format pane, and for “Full Page Layout” you’ll find most of the separator settings are already what you want. All you want to modify is enabling Override separator after, and switching that one to “Page Break” as well.

This layout could also be used to large figures or anything else you want to have a dedicated page for. Of course it will still be up to you to keep table shorter than a page height—but again once we get into that sort of territory it will hardly ever make sense to worry about it until the final layout is known. The table design itself may end up looking nothing like the placeholder table added by the author, so knowing where to split it will be difficult.