Keyboard shortcut for Remove Text Color?

I’ve tried to create a keyboard shortcut for the contextual menu item Text Color -> Remove Color but it doesn’t work. Is there some special menu name for the contextual menu that I should add in the path? Or is it simply impossible to create shortcuts for it? Are there any alternative ways, I wonder? Formatting Presets perhaps? I use them to add color.

Yes, you can.

Highlight a word in the right colour (black presumably), then Format > Formatting > New Preset from Selection. In the dialogue that comes name it appropriately (‘Black’?) and choose the following options:

Drop down box: Save Character Attributes
Include font: unticked
Include font size: unticked

then save it. You’ll have ‘Black’ as a new preset in the formatting menu and it will only change the colour of the text of the selection — won’t affect any of the other elements like line-spacing / font size etc.

Then add a shortcut to ‘Black’ in System Preferences in the normal way.

Obviously you can use this same process to set up shortcuts for ‘Red’ etc…

Thank you brookter. I have been adding text color this way but thought that removing color is different from black. After all there is a special Remove Color menu item. But in practice maybe black and removing color is the same thing. I suppose I can trust that “the original body text color” and “Black” will be the same when compiling. There’s probably something in the Compile settings I’d need to look at…

You can over-ride font colour in the Compilation dialogue:

Or you could just make a scrivening of the entire document, select it all, then apply black (or remove colour) to the whole manuscript at at once. Either will work, but the second is simpler.

BTW, there is an option in the Colour selection dialogue for ‘no colour’ – it’s the white square with the diagonal red line on it. This means ‘apply the text colour as it stands in the Text Preferences’, so if your Default text (in General Preferences > Formatting, or Project > Text Preferences, if you’ve activated them) is black, then it does come to the same thing.

Uh, in compile settings the color panel won’t open for me and I can’t change the color. Strange, I don’t know why. Anyway, the select all override only partially solves my problem – only when all text should be in the same color. But I also need to compile texts that actually have several different colors, red, blue, green etc. and black as the default for most of the text.

Even in general preferences, formatting, the font color panel won’t open on click. It’s stuck to black. Neither does it open in the format bar. There’s some bug here now.

You have to click and hold (or a right-click) – the dialogue will appear in a second or two.

But, there shouldn’t really be a need to over-ride the text colour either way – if you’ve got it right in the editor and don’t set anything in the compilation dialogue, that’s how it will print out. I was just showing you the way to do it if you wanted, not recommending that’s what you do!

Ah, click and hold. This kind of behaviour didn’t occur to me, not very common I would think. I just remembered the panel expanding in the past. Thank you for everything, I really appreciate you bother to explain and point out.

I think the remove color thing just confuses me, that’s all. There was some talk on the forum about a custom text color in the compose mode – a color that was only for viewing in Scrivener and not ending in the compiled text. This must have confused me further. I do feel I understand now better.

I take my original question though – if it’s possible to create keyboard shortcuts for contextual menu items – is still without an answer. I suspect it’s some OS X related thing and impossible. I’ve tried to search for an answer but never found.

I think it’s click/hold or right click because there are circumstances where a single click to change the colour back is preferable, but I don’t know. It’s on a tool-tip anyway.

But, you’re right — creating shortcuts for contextual menus is quite complicated. I use Keyboard Maestro, which makes it slightly easier, but the easiest solution is for developers to put all the commands in a menu somewhere, then there’s no difficulty. Some just assume that everybody’s happy to mess around with that stupid mouse — nasty squeaky little thing. I hate it…

Anyway, this is unusual in Scrivener – it’s one of the most keyboard-friendly programmes I’ve used and one more example of the tremendous amount of thought and work that’s gone into its development.

Yes, I actually realised now that a short click color change is quite handy. I just don’t like to use mouse.

Can you create shortcuts to contextual menus with Keyboard Maestro?

Yes, most of the time…

I say ‘most’ because there are issues about where the ‘right-click’ is obtained from – obviously you get a different menu if you click in a different place, so it’s a bit fiddly.

But for something like ‘right-click on this button which is always in the same place in the interface’ (i.e. the colour swatch on a ruler bar), you can tell KM to simulate a right-click at coordinate X,Y from the top left of the screen or window (for example), then you send enough down arrows to get to the desired item on the menu. (You can record all this as you’re doing it, so it’s not too difficult to set up.). It works…

But Keyboard Maestro is definitely worth buying anyway if you like to simplify your workflows — it can save a lot of time.

For example, I have it set up so that I have shortcuts for various related functions on popup menus so I don’t have to remember too many shortcut keys.

Eg: all the preset styles are on a menu I call with opt-s, and from there I can press a single letter to apply them (dismissing the menu as it does):

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 17.20.26.png

I have a miscellaneous menu for things like triggering External Sync or going to a specific document. I actually tend to do this in Keyboard Menu more often than using System Preferences, because you can sync the shortcuts across all your computers – much more convenient than having to input them by hand every time to get a new one, or reinstall.

You can also use Keyboard Maestro for abbreviations and boiler plate text — I use [t to input the current time as [17:25] for example, or [j to add a template for a daily journal. It’s an incredibly powerful program and I’ve not really explored it all yet, but if I’m on another Mac which doesn’t have it installed, I feel deprived…

keyboardmaestro.com/main/

I’ve looked at Keyboard Maestro before but it seemed rather complex. I think I’ll give it another go. I’ve used aText for text snippets but it seems like an abandonware nowadays. KM could replace its fuctions. Thanks again, that workflow saving could work for removing color.

The basics are fairly simple, but it can do some very complex things, which I’ve not even scratched the surface of yet. The syncing of shortcuts / abbreviations across computers is almost worth the price on its own for me.