Keyboard shortcuts in script writing mode

I want to use keyboard shortcuts for Character, Dialogue etc in script writing mode. I see C is given for Character, but no matter what combination of keys I use, I can’t get the cursor to jump to the right position, and have to keep using the mouse. So I’m wondering if the problem is my Japanese keyboard (though I’m using English language mode)? Please give me a couple of examples of how to use the shortcuts and any possible work-arounds should the keyboard be the problem. And where are these shortcuts explained?
Thanks.

For those shortcuts you need to show the elements menu first by hitting shift-cmd-Y. So for character you would hit shift-cmd-Y to bring up the menu and then hit C.

There are other options, though: opt-cmd-1 to opt-cmd-9 also act as keyboard shortcuts for the various elements; or if you hit return twice you will be offered an elements list from which to choose.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Keith–Thanks for the prompt reply. To make sure I understand: After bringing up the elements list, I still have to use 3 keys or take my fingers off the keyboard central position and move over to the list, right? There is no way to hit C (or whatever) with 2 keys? No way to assign a single key for such a function?

If you hit shift-cmd-Y, the menu will pop up at the bottom of the screen. Then you just hit a single key - “C” or whatever.

OR you can hit opt-cmd-1, opt-cmd-2 etc without having to hit shift-cmd-Y first.

And of course, you can use the keyboard system preferences to modify the opt-cmd-1, 2 etc keyboard shortcuts (the menu items for which you will find in Format > Scriptwriting > Change Element To).

So you don’t need to move your fingers off the keyboard central position, no.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith