Keyboard shortcuts

I just started my trial of Scrivener, and it’s pretty amazing. I’ve tried a bunch of Word alternatives/supplements, and this one strikes me as the only one worth buying. Great job!

However, there are a couple of things you could do to persuade me further: Make all of the “go to”-type keyboard shortcuts toggle-able (for instance, Ctrl+Cmd+F goes to the search box; hitting Ctrl+Cmd+F again should go back to whatever I had selected previously), and make every action undo-able (e.g., Merge and Split). Oh, and, as far as I can tell, there’s no keyboard shortcut for the screenplay/stageplay text styles (General Text, Scene Heading, etc.); they’re numbered, so maybe Ctrl + # should be the shortcuts, since Cmd + # is already used.

You have 30 days! :slight_smile:

You can get rid of these little floating tools by pressing Cmd-W. Just make sure it has the focus and not your main window.

There is no undo for some operations, because some operations like the ones you mentioned, actually operate on files. Scrivener stores all of these little chunks in the outline as discrete sets of files within the project folder. There might actually be up to three different files for every node in the outline. One for the text body itself, another for any notes you might have, and a third for links. These are created and destroyed as needed. So when you merge or split something in the Binder, Scrivener is actually doing a bunch of file operations to do that. Coding an undo for that would be complicated.

Instead, consider the undo for each of these to be the opposite feature. If you accidentally split something; just Merge them back to together, or vice versa. :slight_smile:

Screenplay modes: Actually those numbers are your shortcuts. When that menu is visible you can just tap the number and it will go right to it. There is a hot key to bring up that menu as well, Cmd-Y. Note this will be changing in the next version which is currently in public beta. Letters are used instead of numbers. Also note that you can use TAB and ENTER to get to the most common script modes. This is contextual. So when you are typing a character name, ENTER will switch to Dialogue by default, and so on. Sometimes hitting ENTER-TAB in quick succession will get you to the mode you want faster than using the menu. All of that comes with experience.

Ah, but the fact that performing a “manual undo” is so easy shows that coding an undo shouldn’t be difficult, doesn’t it? I don’t know how the code is organized, but I can’t imagine it being too difficult for the undo command for a Split to be the appropriate Merge, and vice versa.

A very minor quibble, of course. Great program. I’m already looking forward to the next release.

I’m not actually a Cocoa programmer, so I do not know for a fact, but I think the challenge is that the undo stack doesn’t handle multiple operations in one slot very well if at all. So while you can program a command to do x number of things fairly easily, having an undo disassemble those x things is not quite the same.

Actually programming undo is massively difficult, as merging a file that has already been split is significantly different to a real undo. There will be no undo for features like this in the near future - certainly not before a 2.0 (note that you will find the same limitation in similar programs such as CopyWrite and Ulysses).
Best,
Keith

I cut some text then I realized that I needed to put it in a new scrivening. So I created it. But the text was no longer available to paste.

Presumably you did accidentally did some sort of copy operation inbetween. I just tried doing this and it worked fine.
Best,
Keith

I beleive I posted too hastily.

Glad you got it sorted. The copy and paste stuff is all handled internally by Apple code so I don’t really have any control over it anyway…
All the best,
Keith