Keyword chips don’t display on folders in the Corkboard View.

I have a complex psych thriller that is loaded with small clues throughout that create this ‘ahh haa’ moment at the twist. Each Chapter (Folder) has a synopsis that mentions these clues, so I can see where they are at a glance.

Each Chapter folder also has multiple files inside (scenes - lots of them) so the keywords must apply to the Chapter itself, not the individual files inside (for reasons mentioned below).

In Corkboard view, I can see the whole novel unfold, synopsis by synopsis, folder by folder, just by clicking on the Draft folder in the Binder.

HOWEVER, what I really want is to see, at a glance, every chapter that has the clue XXX in it, and every one with the clue YYY in it, so I can see if each clue is well-spaced throughout.

What I really want is RTF rather than plain text index cards, so that when I mention clue XXX in the synopsis, I can colour that text to make it stand out at a glance. However, from reading the Wish List, I doubt this is going to happen.

In the absence of that option, I see no choice but to list clues as Keywords and try to remember which colour is assigned to which clue.

BUT, because I can’t see the Keyword Chips on the Chapter folder, the only way to see them at a glance is to assign them to scenes and select every file in the novel. This is completely unwieldy and impossible. There are just too many.

Is there a way to display Keyword Chips on Folders in the Corkboard View?

Or, can anyone think of another way of viewing, at a glance, clues/Keywords mentioned in each Chapter?

Thanks!!

It might help to give us a little demonstration project, set up the way you’re trying for. There aren’t any fundamental differences between cards with different icons on them—if the icon in the top-left corner is shaped like a folder, Scrivener doesn’t care at all, at least where it comes to index card display options.
keyword_chips.zip (96.1 KB)

Hi Amber,

That attached project is REALLY helpful, thank you.

I took your sample and switched it around to match my set up. It proved that what I want to do SHOULD work, but for some reason, it’s not working in my specific project. :cry:

I’ll have a play around and see if I can figure out why, but it’s good to know it should work.

Thanks!

Yeah, I’d be curious to hear what the matter is. I’m still not sure what could cause keyword display to be level based—that’s really what we’re talking about I think, unless you can put a text item at the same level as the chapter folders and see a keyword on it.

OMG, this is so frustrating! I opened your project, fiddled around with that to match it to my setup, and it worked beautifully, as I said.

So, I went back to my project, to see what was different about mine, and my Corkboard was littered with Keyword Chips!! What the …???

Now, if I try to replicate the issue, I can’t! I can’t get the Keyword Chips to disappear, no matter what I do, and I’ve been fiddling with it for hours to get them to show up. I just wish I’d taken a screenshot to prove it - more for my own sanity than anything.

It’s so odd … it was like opening your file jogged something!

So, finding that odd, I thought I’d check to see if your file jogged the problem I’m having (see earlier post) with spelling and grammar inconsistencies (just for fun). And lo and behold, Check Spelling and Grammar While Typing has stopped working altogether since I opened your file.

But THIS I can prove. I posted a screenshot in my earlier post, and you can see grammar pick up on “And so on and so forth” and now, it doesn’t! It doesn’t pick up on any mistakes at all.

There is something VERY odd going on with my file. I’m worried it’s corrupted in some way.

But… either way, these aren’t problems with Scrivener over all. They are clearly isolated to my project.

Thanks Amber.

I wouldn’t be too concerned with the keywords thing, unless it comes back in a persistent way and defies all settings. In that case you might try this checklist (but only if you really have UI problems, as that is a rather drastic step if nothing is wrong at the moment). Either way I would be hard-pressed to consider that “corruption”, at least not of the sort that is of any threat to your work.

As for spell check, that’s a Mac bug unfortunately, and entirely unrelated to the corkboard. It has a tendency to stop working, along with substitutions, for some people. Nothing in Scrivener itself seems to make any difference—we have many years of reports and no patterns in them—my hunch is that it’s more of a product of the unique environment each computer represents. Those that see it will see it often; those that do not probably never will.

Thanks Amber, that has put my mind at rest. I was considering the implications of starting a new project and copying everything across. Just the thought of it fills me with dread!!

I’m going to close it all down this morning, reboot the Mac, and see if I have any problems today.

Thanks for the link and for all the help.