Keywords (I think) - academic

There are lots of nice features in Scrivener but the central reason I am investigating it is to track my quotes and notes. These are all short components 250 words or much less.

What I want to do is TAG them and SEARCH them.
So if I want all the stuff I’ve collected which matches John Bollard + 20thC + Cat + Myth
I get that selection (boolean AND).

I’ve created folders for SCHOLARS, QUOTES and NOTES (notes = brief paraphrase).
I’m trying out a bibliog list for each SCHOLAR with short form refs at the top for frequent use ones.

But the Keyword manager is TINY. I will have about 250 -350 keywords.
I need to see them on a quick scan display. Assigning keywords does need to be quick - I don’t want to scroll down a long list every time I do it.
Will it expand?
Maybe there’s something I haven’t understood?

When I can use the Keywords quickly and easily, I’ll look at how to crosslink between items in the folders e.g. a SCHOLAR - (sometimes child item 1970) links to all QUOTES

Also how do I change the default font to a global Georgia?

Hello there,
The keyword manager is adjustable. You can drag it to the size of your screen if you wish. It also features a scroll bar so when it is full, you just add more and use the scroll bar.

One great advantage of keywords is that we’re not limited to Scriv’s own keyword manager. The Inspector’s keyword control recognizes any dragged text as a new or existing keyword. So we can keep sets of keywords on the Scratch Pad, for example, sorted, grouped or wrapped as we prefer. Then drag and drop in either direction.

Rgds – Jerome (wishing for the same capability in Doc Refs)

Thank you kindly both of you.

What I found was:

I can indeed drag the keywords manager bigger, but

• Only vertically - so length of list is limited by height of work area as no columns; result = 35 keywords;
  • Even that much is only temporary so I’d have to keep dragging it both above and below every single time I allocate Keywords.

The Scratch Pad is a nice little facility - didn’t know about it. But

• it won’t handle columns so limited to about 25 keywords on display easily.
    I tried making an RTF document with 3 columns of the Keyword names I want. Scratch Pad recognises it’s there but can’t render the columns - content is all squashed together.

The most useful improvement would be to have the keywords manager a) remember the resize as default; and b) list contents in columns.
Without something like this it’s too fiddly and time consuming to assign Keywords - I have to know I haven’t missed any out. So I need to overview the available list and select the ones I want.

Hello there,
You are not limited to 35 keywords. As I mentioned in earlier post, keep adding keywords and it will bring up a scroll bar to go through the list of however many you have. I agree it would be best to keep the keyword manager resize when the project is opened or closed. Request this in the appropriate part of forum, they do listen and maybe it has already been requested. The manager can be resized both in width and height. Bear in mind that a keyword can have siblings so you can further categorize your keywords rather than a huge list. It would be unusual to just have a massive list of words… the very powerful search facility can do this. Just keep a list of stuff in a document in the research side.
Might be worth re-reading the keyword section in the manual and search the forum for keyword related posts. It is a very powerful tool.

Hi Morgain

For columns in the Scratch Pad, we can use a table. The Scratch Pad doesn’t have its own table control, but we can create a table in the main editor, paste it into the Scratch Pad, and maintain and replicate it there. One row by three columns might be easiest, since you’d keep a list within each cell. And you can use a formatting preset in the main editor to create an indent, so the keywords aren’t hugging the cell edges.

Yes, this is a bit of a kludge, but Scrivener has great adaptability. It’s worth knowing the workarounds, since even excellent user design ideas that meet very specialized needs are unlikely to make the cut.

Rgds – Jerome

You could take that columned RTF, make a PDF out of it, then put it in your project’s Research folder.

When you want to use it just right-click, open in external editor, and arrange your windows to be side by side. Now as you work with your documents in Scriv, you can just drag the necessary keywords from the PDF and drop them into the keyword area of the inspector.

You could also do this entirely in Scriv - load the PDF into a split, but then you’re also going to need to lock the inspector to the main editor window, and lock the other split so you don’t keep losing the PDF, in my quick test it seemed a lot simpler to have the PDF be external, but YMMV.

Edit: just to note why I used a PDF for that example - since RTF is Scriv’s native format, when imported it doesn’t seem to then let you open an rtf in an external editor (at least on the Mac, I don’t have Windows handy to test right now), so I went with a PDF just to maintain that flexibility. But you’re not limited to just Scriv’s tools in this, you can maintain your keyword list where ever and in whatever format you like, as JJSlote mentioned above you can drag a keyword into the inspector from pretty much any text source.

Hello again. Forgot to mention that the default font selector for your global Georgia is at Options/Editor and then at the top of the box labelled Default Main Text Attributes there is a blue A. Left click to set the global default font.
Going back to your main request. Have you taken a good look at collections? They suit grouping and finding material excellently.
Good luck.