Kindle replacing images with JPEGs in compiling?

I’ve got a book all written, and am trying to compile it using Scrivener - which seems to be working well overall. The main issue that I keep running into is that the book is about pixel art, so I need to include some pixel art in the book, obviously. The trick with pixel art is that in order for it to look anything like right, the final images have to appear at exactly the right size and format or they get blurry and artifacts get thrown in.

I’ve figured out how to get the images sized properly, and it looks like things are showing up okay in the epub format. When I try to compile it for Kindle, though… it looks like the images are changed to JPEGs.

Pixel art can be saved as either PNG (my preferred filetype) or GIF. It looks like Kindle may only support GIF and JPEG, which is okay - I can convert the images to GIF easily enough. But… when I go to compile the book, it looks like my GIFs are still being turned into JPEGs when I view the book. (At any rate, the effect is the same - they’re not showing up right, and there are obvious random artifacts in the background.)

I’m so close to being ready to actually put this book out, and all these image issues are driving me insane. :confused: Can anyone help?

Kindle does support PNG; from the kindle publishing guidelines:

One thing you could try is to compile as an epub, open the epub in the freeware Sigil app, make sure that the images are png - and if not swap out the jpg’s with your png’s - then use Kindle Previewer to convert the epub into kindle mobi format. See then if the Kindle Previewer also converted the png’s to jpegs.

If Kindle Previewer did convert the images, you could try this: compile to html and swap the images (if they need swapping) and then upload the html file to Kindle via the online dashboard. See if Amazon’s own converters change the image format. Since png is authorized as a kindle image format, the png’s ought to go through OK.

You could also compile to epub, open the epub in Sigil, and then export the xhtml file and upload that. You might want to do this if the way Scrivener compiles to html is markedly different from the way it compiles to epub.

Hope you get things working.

• asotir

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, none of them seem to be producing any better results at this point… I’ve contacted Amazon directly to see if they have any idea what’s going on, since it seems to be a general issue of the format, not just a specific way of compiling it. Just so depressing, when I am this close to being completely ready to go with a book I’ve been working on for so long, only to run into seemingly impassible technical problems. :frowning: