Kindle Support

This may be there already, but is there any way to go directly from Scrivener to a Kindle ready document? Assuming I have multiple files in my draft, I’d like to be able to export them into a single Kindle document with proper TOC and Intra-document linking.

Thoughts?

I’ve been playing with this, and it appears one can come very close using Markdown > HTML. One element which would be nice is if Srivener Links would translate in Markdown to intra-document links. Any idea on how to do that?

Well we don’t have Kindle here in the UK but we do have the Sony e reader and my publisher wangled me one from Sony because they wanted an author to look at it. It is very impressive until you start to want to put your own stuff on it. Standard pdfs from anything on the Mac don’t display properly - soft line endings turn into hard ones. You can read rtf on it but it takes a long while to format rtf on the fly. It does work OK with a straight rtf export from Scrivener.

Supposedly this software can improved file handling and the pdf problems - calibre.kovidgoyal.net/wiki

I have yet to try it though. The Sony comes with software for Windows but nothing for Mac - it just appears as a USB storage device.

Update - the line ending problem is still there with Calibre if you upload the pdf file. However it will translate files into something called rlf which apparently is a proprietary Sony format. This looks a lot better though you seem to lose first line paragraph indents (which may be just me). So you can get Scrivener onto a Sony ereader but it may take a bit of fiddling to get it right.

I haven’t tried it, but I think MMD to XHTML to Mobibook is going to produce the best possible Kindle file (indistinguishable from professionally published Kindle books). Kindle’s internal book format is just a differently DRMed Mobibook file. In fact, un-encrypted Mobi files can be put on the Kindle and they will function perfectly (working ToC, etc). The only snag here is that Mobi’s eBook authoring software only runs on Windows. If you have access to a Bootcamp or Parallels installation, that shouldn’t be a huge problem though.

I’ve been doing MMD to HTML and then using Amazons free service to convert it to Kindle’s format. That appears to be very close. I’d like to find away to do code inserts that carry over as the kindle has a few custom tags. Overall though, the MMD approach seems to be the best.

Does it assemble a table of contents from the header tags when you do it that way? That would probably be the most painless option if that were the case. I have put a few HTML files on my Kindle, but they were all single-page articles that I had collected during the day to read later, nothing longer than 10k words. And yes, MMD is going to be the best for this kind of thing because the Apple HTML generator doesn’t apply much in the way of structural elements like header tags.

No, no TOC. I’ve only been able to get that by manually going in and working at the HTML Code layer

Try adding this mmd-meta to your MultiMarkdown options. Add a field called “XHTML XSLT” and type in “xhtml-toc.xslt” in the value area. That should create an XHTML file with an automatically generated level-3 deep TOC based off of the header tree.

I’ll give that a shot. I’m new to the Multi-Markdown stuff. Where would I add that field?

File->MultiMarkdown Settings…

Bild 2.png