Kindlegen

I’m thinking it should be possible to create a web service wrapped around Kindlegen. Technically it shouldn’t be that hard. I dunno about licensing & legal issues.

Upload the required upload files to the server, then open an URL for a PHP-based page which can call Kindlegen as needed on the server. The resulting MOBI file could then be placed in a folder belonging to the specific user, so they could open the page in Safari and then download files into the Kindle app.

Hi,

Is this a suggestion of the iPad and iPhone version or something else? At any rates, it’s not possible to include the Kindlegen program anywhere - that’s why in Scrivener itself we have to ask users to download and install Kindlegen themselves. This is part of Amazon’s EULA - Kindlegen cannot be bundled with anything else.

All the best,
Keith

The idea doesn’t really have to be limited to the iPad/iPhone version, but that was what I had in mind originally. Since you can’t run an external Kindlegen app on those devices, I figured maybe you could get around the restriction by calling a web service that did the grunt work.

Strictly speaking, if you made a web service that wrapped around Kindlegen, you wouldn’t be distributing it. You’re simply running it on a server. And that’s within the terms of Amazon’s EULA:

Well that assumes the iOS app will be able to produce .ePub files in the first place (as that is what is used to feed KindleGen). Complex compiling might very well be outside of the remit of these devices. This stuff isn’t locked down yet, but formatting in general is tricky business on a platform with no toolkits for otherwise widely used formats.

Indeed, there are no plans for the iPad version to be able to create an .epub or .mobi file directly, certainly not for 1.0, at least.

The EULA does specify “for your use”, too, and having it on a server for access by customers would presumably not fall in with that.

All the best,
Keith

MS already quashed that concept with several prosecutions. I don’t have the cases in front of me, but essentially, a server is publishing to a “larger than individual user base” (that quote stick in my brain).

So while it is a tempting idea, US courts will find you in violation of the EULA unless you have a licensing agreement with the company. If you had that then you wouldn’t be in the courts in the first place though.

Jaysen, with many EULA’s I would tend to agree. Certainly most of the Microsoft ones I’ve ever seen.

However, the EULA that Amazon has for Kindlegen is much more simple and far less restrictive than most. I’m not saying I’d do it without contacting them first and running the idea past them, but it seems to me that it is probably OK. And if they said it wasn’t OK under the existing EULA, then you’ve started the conversation for getting a special license.

To be honest, I’m kind of surprised that Amazon hasn’t done a web service version themselves.