Know Any Tricks for *Printing* Custom-Size Notecards Like This One?

Hello,

I’m working on a book that has lots of illustrations, so I’m storyboarding everything on the wall in my living room, blending illustrations and key topics into a linear sequence.

I’m looking for a way to print neat and tidy, custom-size notecards (see accompanying screenshot as example) that pull from my Scrivener data.

The main thing is to get big, bold titles that can be read with a quick glance, with synopses & meta-data displayed less prominently.

To give you an idea, I’m using a 9-cell (3 cols x 3 rows), full-page table in Word as my guide. That’s the approx. size I’m aiming for.

Right now my best option seems to be exporting the outline view as a CSV, then writing a VB Script in Excel to build out a Word doc from the CSV data. (Obviously not ideal)

Any genius ideas for getting somewhat close using existing Scrivener features?

Tim

Printing custom cards is a matter of whether your printer can handle cards that small (or if you can somehow make the printing process combine a bunch of cards on a single page for you to cut up). Most of the information on your card can be configured in the “Formatting” pane of the compiler, with the exception of Custom Meta-data, I think.

Title and Synopses are check-boxes, “card #” can be generated automatically with the placeholder tag <$n>, and you can choose separate font settings for title and synopsis using the sample text view at the bottom of the Formatting pane.

Stuff you’ll have trouble with: As far as I know, Custom Meta-data isn’t available for compile (just the “General” meta-data fields). There’s no rich text formatting in the synopsis; so no bullet point indentations (the bullet points themselves are just characters, so if you can figure out how to enter them, they can be used). Also, making cells or a table for the bottom area isn’t going to be possible in the synopsis.

You could try experimenting with Multimarkdown formatting–that might make what you want possible…

The <$custom:fieldname> tag can be used to include custom metadata in the output document.

Katherine

Katherine / RDale,

Thanks a ton for these replies! (love this community!)

I think you two might have given me what I’m after. (Man I hope so, that would be sooo awesome!).

Katherine,

One follow-up question for you regarding this:

… Where would I want to place that special code? Is that something I’d embed within each synopsis, or is there a “notecard template” where I would paste it in? And does that fancy markup have a name in Scrivener that I could search the Help docs for?

Thanks again!

Tim

The list of placeholder tags can be found on the Help menu, along with a discussion of what each of them does.

Where to put the tag depends on where you want the metadata to appear. Probably in the synopsis would be the most natural place for it. I’d recommend experimenting a bit.

There is no “notecard template,” but you can create one. See Section 7.5 of the Scrivener manual.

Katherine

I was about to point out the the poster was a Windows user, and that the Windows version doesn’t have that tag or a list of them under Help, but then I noticed the forum it was posted under.

Inquire: Are you using the Windows version (as your profile indicates), the Mac version (as this sub-forum indicates), or both? There are differences in functionality (somewhat minor ones, until that functionallity is what you want), and in the menu structure.

Thanks for asking, RDale. Appreciate that.

I do most of my regular daily work on a Windows machine (so typically I use Scrivener there), but I also have scrivener on a Mac that I can use to do special stuff like this.

I was thinking I would just put the file on Dropbox and then carefully close out completely of one before opening it on the other.

Not exactly sure if that will work, though, so I suppose I’ll try it out on a back copy first.

Tim

Always try on a duplicate copy first, but sharing between Mac and Windows should be seamless as long as you remember (1) to close the project on each machine when you finish working on it; and (2) allow Dropbox to do its sync’ing fully before you open it on the other.

:slight_smile:

Mark

Got it, Mark. Thanks for the tip!

I’m glad I was extra cautious. When I first booted the Mac it took quite a while before Dropbox showed that it had files to update.

Initially it showed all green checkmarks. I thought, “Man, that’s fast.” But then I waited a few minutes and sure enough, Dropbox started working through its updates.

Tim