Label colors: drop thumbtacks, use colored index cards

Scrivener is a fantastic program and everyday I’m discovering new ways to use it, but I have a suggestion for the way label colors are implemented.

While I appreciate the thumbtack paradigm, I feel in the digital realm it’s unnecessary and wastes space. Much more visually useful to me would be the ability to tint the index cards with the label color. This would make it much easier to see where various elements fall into place structurally.

If that’s too hard to implement, I would be happy to be able to highlight the card’s title with the label color, much like I used to do with highlighters on sets of real-world index cards. This feature would be nice extended to the binder and outline as well–the file titles highlighted with the label color.

You can do that already. See Preferences: Fonts and Colors to change the color of the cards. Then down below, change the Pin Opacity to Low.

Well, thanks for the tip, but what I’d like is to change the color of the cards to reflect the label color automatically, so I would have a variety of colored cards.

While it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, tinting the icons with the label color (under View in the menu) will carry the tints over to the icons in the corkboard view. It’s not a full coloration of the card, but it is some indication of what label is applied to the card. I do agree that a full card tinting would be easier to see.

dion

I was about to suggest this feature when I thought I should do a search and found it had already been made.

So I’ll add my support for this feature request. The ability to colour the cards with their Label Colour would be a fantatstic visual aid to organisation. The Thumbtacks, whilst a great option, don’t always jump out enough. Coloured Cards would reflect better how many of us use real world corkboards - I know many screenwriters use different coloured cards for each storyline in their script, and can quickly see if they are spending too much time away from one story thread.

Also… for exactly the same reasons, it would be great if in Outliner view we could have each section highlighted by its Label Colour.

Great program though. I’ve just discovered it and am already reccomending it to lots of people.

Cogito, try downloading the beta. You might find a pleasant surprise. :slight_smile:

Ah!!

Well that was quick :slight_smile: Fantastic.

Thanks heaps.

If so, I’d like to try it. Just how safe is the beta as it is now? I’m in the middle of a project and worry about the conversion and not being able to come back to 1.03 if there’s a problem. Is 1.1 final coming soon?

When you first open a project with the beta, it will create a backup of your project for safe-keeping. So in a worst case scenario you could always go back to 1.03. I’ve been using the beta this entire time and it’s been running flawlessly. The latest version is pretty much release candidate material in my opinion. I think it is basically just waiting for documentation.

Just loaded the beta. The colored cards on the corkboard are really helpful. Definitely don’t need the pins now. I also like the way that the synopsis is color coded. Immediate visual cues like these are very helpful. Thanks a lot, Keith.

I admit I didn’t find the way to color the index cards, nor in the preferences or in the menu. May I ask where the new command or option is located?

Paolo

Go to View-Index Cards-and select ‘Tint cards with label colour’. Hey presto.

Understood - I had the “Pin/card opacity” slider set to zero, since this was the only way (I think) to hide pins in the previous version. So nothing happened with the “Tint cards with label colour” command. Thank you!

That’s FANTASTIC!

Paolo

Now that the feature I wanted for the index cards is in the latest beta, it seems only logical to extend it to the background tint when editing Scrivenings. I see that the Synopsis gets the tint, which is a very nice touch, so why not the alternating Scrivenings background as well?

I can see this being toggleable: either with just two colors (gray and white, my defaults) serving as the background or with the multicolored hues of the status of each document. The user can choose the colorful or just a simple undistracting two-tone flow.

Again, this would be just a visual cue, but very helpful to see very quickly what kind of section you are editing in the running manuscript.