Lacking Unicode character export support on Scrivener 3?

So I have been using scrivener to write some Chinese content lately, and I just noticed that after upgrading to scrivener 3, the exporter/compiler for unicode characters (i.e. Chinese characters) is screwed on MacOS. When I try to export to a .docx format, the content just become mumble jumble…

I’m running the latest version Scrivener 3 on the latest version MacOS, and this problem never occurred before I upgraded. So, any solutions?

Thanks!

Hi,

Scrivener 3.1 comes bundled with an updated version of Java, which is used by our exporters. Unfortunately, there’s a bug whereby the updated version of Java we included doesn’t include the character set component necessary for non-English characters in export. I’ve fixed this for the next update, but in the meantime you can fix this yourself by using a system version of Java as follows:

  1. If Java isn’t already installed on your system, download and install it from Oracle.

  2. In Scrivener’s Preferences, under Sharing > Conversion, tick “Use system Java version for conversion if installed”.

  3. Quit and relaunch Scrivener (there’s a minor bug whereby the option described in (2) doesn’t take effect until you restart Scrivener, which I’ve also fixed for the next update).

Now Scrivener will use the system Java version for exporting, and all should be good. Apologies for the inconvenience.

All the best,
Keith