Lag when moving between documents

Hello,

I’m experiencing a lag when moving back and forth between individual documents. When I click on a document in the binder, Scrivener immediately takes me to the top of the document in “document view”, but then freezes for a few seconds before returning the cursor to the place where I left off.

I’m working on a large project (100,000 words w/o footnotes) and have to move between different bits constantly, which is why this lag is quickly becoming very annoying.

I’m working from a MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory). Would a more powerful machine make a difference? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any pointers you may provide!

Are you in Scrivenings or Single Document mode?

How big are the individual documents?

No footnotes, but comments?

:slight_smile:

Mark

Edited once.

Single doc mode.

Individual docs are between 1000 and 3000 words. I really don’t want them to be any smaller.

Footnotes: there are lots of them. (I guess my phrasing was ambiguous: The project is 100,000 words “without” – in the sense of “not including” – footnotes.)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Okay, I just checked: The thing I’m writing is 100,000 words but the project overall (including notes, sketches etc.) contains almost double that number…

It’s probably the footnotes that are slowing things down. I find that to be the case on even a small document with lots of comments—using my 17"MBP with i7 processor, separate graphics chip and 16GB RAM; I haven’t tried Scrivener on my iMac recently.

I think it’s drawing a large number of footnotes or comments in the inspector which takes time. If your footnotes are short, so that they won’t be too disruptive in the editor, I’d try converting them into inline footnotes, as that removes the screen-drawing overload.

I think the same problem might exist with the Windows Scrivener 3 Beta, and perhaps it’s something that the team should look into—of course it maybe that KB is already working on such things in the background.

Just a suggestion.

Mark

Edited once

Many thanks for your suggestion, Mark.

Inline footnotes won’t work for me I’m afraid. It’s a historiographic work with a lot of additional detail in the footnotes.

Would be great if this were addressed in a future release!

Then, the other thing you could try—note, I haven’t tried this myself, but I will when working on a text with lots of comments—is to hide the inspector when you don’t need to see the footnotes. If you add a footnote to the text you’re working on, the inspector opens automatically to allow you to enter it. Of course there might be a delay at that point as the inspector is drawn.

As I say, that’s off the top of my head as a possibility.

Mark

That appears to do it! I’d love to be able to see my footnotes at the same time, otherwise this seems a very good workaround. Many thanks indeed.

An update: The lag is back, also when footnotes aren’t displayed, though nothing else has changed. (I’m running the same applications alongside Scrivener, which are taking up the same amount of memory…)

This is really making the writer harder than it should be.

Any others suggestions?

(And again the question: Would a more powerful machine make a difference?)

Thank you!

I’m saving files onto the hard drive of my Macbook Pro, formatted as APFS (Encrypted). How do I determine block sizes?

Thank you!