LAGGING, UNRESPONSIVNESS, OPTION DRAG

Very late to the party on this, but I too have been laboring for months through annoying buffer delays in most any action of Scrivener 3.1.2 on a recent MacBook Pro running latest OS.
Usually six seconds of ‘beachball’ (BB), after selecting/changing any insertion point in a document, switching to a different Binder file, switching modes, you name it.
This has continued through all Scrivener upgrades and OS updates since it began.
I can’t recall if I had the problem under V.2.X, but as 3.0 was rebased in November, I think it was occurring under 2.X

The machine shipped with High Sierra.
It began last year and I have just limped along.
As it was asked about a USB drive… I was using one for my files for awhile but have switched back to the internal SSD of the Mac without any changes.
If it helps… ‘Back up too…’ often fails or will sometimes hang the App when saving may to NAS.
Thanks, Scott

Split to a new topic because two year-old comments are unlikely to be relevant.

Do you see the issue in all projects, or just this one? If just this one, how big is the project?

Do you also see the issue if you boot your Mac in Safe Mode?

You say your hardware is “recent.” What specifically is it? How much RAM, how much free disk?

Katherine

FWIW: I have this issue now and then. It will happen with annoying frequency for a while, then just stop and not happen again for weeks or months. I can’t relate its appearance to any particular project or configuration.

15" box stock 2015 MBP with 256GB SSD running the most recent version of MacOS. I frequently have as many as 5 to 9 desktops open. I routinely work with dropbox because of the small SSD. I work with the same dropbox files on the iMac as well. I don’t use the iMac for writing once I get past the outlining/flow charting stage, so have no sound basis for comparing the two computers. That said, I don’t recall the color wheel issue on the iMac. I have a solid WiFi signal where I sit to write with the MBP. The iMac is on a network cable.

In case there is a connection, I also get frequent crashes while using ScratchPad (I send in all the reports). Everything else is nominal.

Scrivener works so well it’s effectively transparent to the writing process as long as the color ball isn’t intruding and it isn’t crashing (which rarely happens if I’m not using Scratchpad).

Fitch

How much free space do you have on the SSD? And how much RAM do you have?

Neither Scrivener nor any other program will work directly with the files on the Dropbox server. Everything Scrivener opens has to be located on the local drive. So, if you routinely have five or more desktops open, and you have relatively limited RAM, and you’re pushing up against the space limits of your drive, that could easily lead to performance issues. Switching to a different document in particular requires that Scrivener save the current document and load the new document from disk, both of which could be problematic if system resources are tight.

Katherine

I too have had this issue, and for some time dating back to Scrivener 2. It occurs under all conditions: plenty of disk space and little, plenty of free memory and little. I almost never have more than one desktop open. My Scrivener files are not stored on Dropbox.

The only cure I’ve found is restarting Scrivener, and that relief is only temporary. Closing and then reopening Scrivener files never seems to have an effect.

Anything in the Console logs? – Katherine

I have a Mid 2015 15" MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM, 164GB free on 256GB SSD.

Fitch

Not sure what I would be looking for in the console logs.

~S

Filter for anything related to Scrivener, and either email our support address or paste it here.

Katherine

Console search for Scrivener:

default 18:18:22.777795 -0400 loginwindow -[PersistentAppsSupport saveLogoutPersistentState:finalSnapshot:] | previouslyRunningApps: (
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.safari”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Safari.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.mail”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Mail.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.dictionary”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Dictionary.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.finder”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.preview”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Preview.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.photos”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Photos.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Scrivener.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.notes”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Notes.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.textedit”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/TextEdit.app”;
}
)
default 18:18:22.791335 -0400 loginwindow -[PersistentAppsSupport saveLogoutPersistentState:finalSnapshot:] | checkAgainstApp is : Scrivener
default 18:18:22.791354 -0400 loginwindow -[PersistentAppsSupport appShouldBeRelaunched:] | entered. checking app: Scrivener
default 18:18:22.791388 -0400 loginwindow -[PersistentAppsSupport saveLogoutPersistentState:finalSnapshot:] | Adding to relaunchArray: Scrivener
default 18:18:22.796615 -0400 loginwindow -[PersistentAppsSupport saveLogoutPersistentState:finalSnapshot:] | Contents:(
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.console”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Utilities/Console.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.finder”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.safari”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Safari.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.dictionary”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Dictionary.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.mail”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Mail.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.preview”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Preview.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.photos”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Photos.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Scrivener.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.notes”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/Notes.app”;
},
{
BackgroundState = 2;
BundleID = “com.apple.textedit”;
Hide = 0;
Path = “/Applications/TextEdit.app”;
}
)

Sorry to report, but… I have this same problem with the "Spinning Beachball” in almost every aspect of my Scrivener experience.

Here are the details of my Mac setup:

iMac (Retina 5K 27-inch, Late 2014)
Model Identifier: iMac15,1
Model Number: A1419

Processor: 4 GHz Intel Core i7
––> Memory: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD RadeonR9M295X 4096 MB
Architecture: 64-bit

Storage: 3 TB Fusion Drive
––> FREE SPACE: 1.5 TB
macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.6
Serial Number: D25NX1M2FY14

Scrivener ver. 3.1.2

I get a long pause, plus a spinning beachball, after any keystrokes:
move the insertion point –> beachball
select text for copying –> beachball
paste text –> beachball
scroll down the page –> beachball
type a sentence of text –> beachball

And so on…

The Scrivener project I am working on right now contains text, footnotes, illustrations, and links to nummerous folders on my HD. The Backup file for the project is 1.1 GB in size.

A normal working environment for this project involves having numerous applications open simultaneously: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Preview, TextEdit, and Safari. Those typically consume about 75% of my 32 GB of RAM. I use the utility application “iCleanMemeory” to re-balance the RAM during the day.

The Spinning Beachball occurs whether I have all these applications open at once – or not.

This morning I used DiskWarrior to rebuild the Disk Directory of my boot drive. But the Spinning Beachball problem persists.

I have been using Scrivener for only about a year, so I am still learning its features – and now, its limitations. I absolutely LOVE this application, and will never write another book without it. But…hey! This situation is now extremely troublesome.

Your insight, and support, are appreciated. Thanks for your reply.

A gigabyte is a pretty good-sized project.

How large are the individual component documents, and how much do you have loaded at once?

Katherine

InnerSongs, do you routinely leave your Mac running for extended periods?

If you do, does restarting it help, at least temporarily?

Katherine

Hello Katherine,

I’m building a book which will have 400-500 images, mostly hi-res photos of paintings. Some are full-page images (9" x 11") at 300 ppi.

My workflow involves using Scrivener for working out the information flow (the working outline); then, for writing and editing the text; and, along the way, assigning specific images into specific chapters – For Position Only. Once the text is written, and I have identified which photos belong in which chapters, I will do the final page layouts in Adobe InDesign.

I have experimented with two methods for placing images onto Scrivener pages: FIRST, by leaving the original in a Finder directory, and linking it to a page, using the “Insert image linked to file” command (in the toolbar). This has advantages, but if I happen to change the location of the file, then the link is broken, and I can’t find it again. (I can overcome this by dragging the Folder that contains the image onto the page, and depositing an alias of the directory; clicking the alias will at least provide a permanent Folder name of the image, in case the link gets broken.

The SECOND method for placing an image on a Scrivener page is to drag-and-drop the image – and then, double-click it, to reduce the size (to make it less intrusive.) With this method, moving the original file to a new location (in the Finder) does not break a link, so the image is always on the page. Of course, I drag-and-drop the Folder that contains the image on the page, also – creating an alias of the folder, so that its name is preserved, in case the link back to it is broken.

What could be causing the Spinning Beachball error? Maybe…

1. large image files embedded directly into the Scrivener document?
  2. behind-the-scenes database maintenance?
  3. a Preference setting?
  4. the Fusion Drive in my Retina iMac 5K (2014)?
  5. something else?

Thanks for your reply.

of phot the individual component documents, and how much do you have loaded at once

Inserting 400 full-resolution images into a Scrivener project will definitely cause performance issues. Note that resizing images in Scrivener changes the displayed “zoom” value, but does not change the number of pixels. The memory footprint of the file is unchanged.

Our recommended solution is to use linked images, with low resolution versions for writing and figuring out placement, swapping in full resolution versions at the end. I’d especially recommend that approach in your case, since you’re planning to use InDesign for the final layout anyway. See Section 15.7.4 of the Scrivener 3 manual for more information. That part of the manual also explains how to prevent broken links.

Katherine

Thanks for the suggestions. Give me a few days to work on it, and I’ll report back.

I’m also getting lots of lag, spinning beachballs, etc. Often when I’m typing and do a quick cut and paste, or delete, I’ll have to wait a few seconds. I have around 300 high-res images inserted via link to file. Are you suggesting that I save all 300 images as low-res jpegs and insert those instead of the high-res TIFFs? That’s really inconvenient. I have a late 2014 Retina iMac with 32GB RAM and plenty of free space on SSD.

Is there a post somewhere on the forum that has best practices for writing books on Scrivener that have lots of high-res images? I write coffee-table books and it’s critical for me to see the images in the document as I write.

Would having an iMac that is significantly newer and faster and with more RAM cure this problem?

Make sure your autosave interval is something reasonable, via the Scrivener -> Preferences -> General -> Saving pane. The default interval is very short, and can cause Scrivener to save when you haven’t actually paused.

Whenever possible, I’d recommend putting images in separate documents so that Scrivener doesn’t have to load them unless you’re specifically interested in that image. Avoid large Scrivenings sessions for the same reason.

Katherine