Language setting for export

Would it be possible to set the language of an RTF file prior to export?

? I didn’t know RTF even had an attribute for this.

If it does, unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be one that the OS X text engine supports. I just looked through all of the properties supported by the text engine (most of which you can set via Compile in 2.0), and language isn’t one of them. Sorry.

All the best,
Keith

Yes, there’s an attribute called deflang which can be used, but as you say; all depends on the text engine.

Cheers Apple.

These are the only attributes that are supported by the text system to my knowledge:

developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATIO … Attributes

If anyone knows different, though, let me know… It seems odd that there’s not a language option, so I do wonder if I’m missing it somewhere.

Actually I have no problem believing they’d leave out something like this. Don’t worry about it though; the language can be set very easily from the word processor side.

Nisus is very good for this in my experience, as it can mark each stretch of a multi-lingual text according to the language of that stretch. A long time ago, I did ask if there might be a chance of setting a secondary font for just such purposes, since I deal with a lot of documents in mixed Simplified Chinese and English, and so language marking would be brilliant, but I can quite see why if might not make the cut for Scrivener. On the other hand, I do wish that exported docs/RTFs could be labelled British English or American English or whichever variety each user prefers. I have to switch them to Brit. Eng. in Nisus, to remove all the apparent spelling errors!

:slight_smile:

Mark

Yep. Same here! :smiley:

Have to convert the document to British English every time I export. Looks like its time for me to learn the Nisus macro language …

Just highlight the whole text and select your language from the language palette or menu … I’ve given it the keystroke opt-cmd-B, and Chinese is opt-cmd-H (for Hanzi!) No need for macros.

Mark

Rayz,

From a response by Martin on the Nisus Writer Express forum to a question about imported text always being in US English rather than British English …

I didn’t know this, but I’m giving it a try! International Preferences say you need to log out and back in for the change to take effect.

:slight_smile:

Mark

A much-belated thanks!

I tried it, and it worked a treat! The exported file now loads into Nisus with the correct language settings. Nice one!

Thanks again.