Large PDF files in Research Could not Display appropriately

A white blank margin with random height at the bottom or the upper side of the editor window will be shown if a large pdf is opened. The larger pdf is, the large blank margin will be. See the attached PNG.

And another problem, I am not sure whether it is a bug, sometimes right click works in the pdf view mode, but sometimes the right click does not work.

Ah, still no replies. Does any one have the same problem? At least to me, a lot of my PDF files just can’t display well in Scrivener. I have to use the external editor to view the files.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwij7bmqk8LOAhUGax4KHVwvCLIQFggjMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fclinton2.nara.gov%2FPCSD%2FPublications%2Ftsa.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGO8rq1c9nwba7wAn4ZDOAS71IH1Q&sig2=2oJut3jhNntg_33NYt0wxw
This URL links to a PDF which can not display well in Scrivener. Does any one would like to have a try?
Where is KB? I guess maybe he is too busy with the development of the iOS version of Scrivener currently.

I downloaded your link and dragged it into one of my Scriv projects. No problem whatsoever. Displayed just fine.

I’m having an apparently similar issue, PDFs don’t display - and I can’t find a way to open them in another app - in my case, in Drafts. This is what I see displayed:

That looks like the iOS version. Here we are talking about the Mac version.

But I checked my iOS version – no problem at all.

PS. If by “another app – Drafts” you mean Agile Tortoise’s app Drafts 4 it can’t import pdf:s.

Thanks for the reply…sorry about the wrong thread, I was clicking round and must have moved between Mac and iOS forums!

By ‘Drafts’ I meant Scrivener’s builtin folder within Binder.

I’ll repost this where it should be.

The Drafts section is not supposed to hold pdf:s. That’s probably why it doesn’t work. You should put them in the Research section of the Binder.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The PDFs are within text (as suggested by the Scrivener prompt below) within drafts at the moment. i tend to keep research images (PNG, PDF mostly) within accompanying text notes.

I’ll have a look at how thing are structured and whether moving text and images around makes them viewable.

I’ve found Scrivener so usable I haven’t ever got round to looking at tutorials /help…perhaps I need to!

A pdf is not an image. A png file is.

Well. It seems a bit strange. If I start a new empty project and drag the PDF in. The problem will not occur. I think there is something related to my current project. I will do more test and update the result later.

I should have been a little clearer with my language.

In this case I have diagrams (aka images and not image files) which happen to have been saved as PDFs along with PNGs and other formats.

@zhangwei28163 - thanks!

Keith explained it here:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/unable-to-view-pdfs-embedded-within-files-in-ios-version/34577/1

hello, I too have this problem. Scrivener does not handle PDFs well. A PDF over 10 or 12 pages is difficult for it to process correctly. I work on scrivener just about all day – it is my main tool in fact – and i do a lot of translation work. I generally put the original text into a PDF so that I cannot change it and split the screen – source language on top, target language at the bottom. Problems with PDF: 1) if over 12 pages, you have to select a text usually a few lines below where the word actually is; 2) there are blank pages at times, requiring at times switching to PDF and returning to the PDF to having to close the program completely; 3) long documents do not search well and can crash the program or slow it down. It makes little difference where in the folder structure the PDF is – i have tried too many things to even list here. And, no, it is not the quality of the PDF … all my PDFs are produced by Acrobat Pro and i have been using PDF and this method for years.

hope that the scrivener people will be able to pay some attention to this issue … while i have some small things I would like to see … this is the only one that I think would improve greatly an already great program …

Steve

hello, I too have this problem. Scrivener does not handle PDFs well. A PDF over 10 or 12 pages is difficult for it to process correctly. I work on scrivener just about all day – it is my main tool in fact – and i do a lot of translation work. I generally put the original text into a PDF so that I cannot change it and split the screen – source language on top, target language at the bottom. Problems with PDF: 1) if over 12 pages, you have to select a text usually a few lines below where the word actually is; 2) there are blank pages at times, requiring at times switching to PDF and returning to the PDF to having to close the program completely; 3) long documents do not search well and can crash the program or slow it down. It makes little difference where in the folder structure the PDF is – i have tried too many things to even list here. And, no, it is not the quality of the PDF … all my PDFs are produced by Acrobat Pro and i have been using PDF and this method for years.

hope that the scrivener people will be able to pay some attention to this issue … while i have some small things I would like to see … this is the only one that I think would improve greatly an already great program …

These are known bugs and limitations of the 32bit Apple API Scrivener currently uses to display PDFs, and as Apple will not fix it, Scrivener will upgrade to 64bits in v3.0 and can then use the latest APIs without these issues AFAIK. So I think we have to wait for the big 3.0 — the buggy PDF display is also the only significant consistent issue I’ve had with Scrivener, so can’t wait for this major update…

Thank you for your feedback, Steve. It is almost the same problem with me. Currently I have to open pdf in a external editor to avoid these problems. Let’s hope Keith could see this and fix this problem in the further.

Oh. I know. Thank you for your explanation. Looking forward to Scrivener 3.0…

%@#@&^!@#^ :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Sorry i needed to vent before writing: with the new OS sierra this problem is now even worst. Or should I say there is a new issue: 1) before at least you could use the dictionary with three finger tap, now you cannot; 2) cannot use shortcuts with pdf; 3) it crashes regularly with pdf.

I realize I am perhaps the only person who cares about this … but I work extensively with PDF … without them Scrivener looses almost all its value … sad as I use it all day long and love it …

i realize this is not an issue with scrivener but Mac and Adobe … but still is there nothing you can do

Steve