Layout, and editing functions

Hello team Scrivener

I’m a schoolteacher, and I’ve got this new iPad. I needed a program that could handle a lot of documents which will need editing over time. I installed both OneNote and Evernote. I dont like any of the apps 100%, but a mix of them I would like. The reason why I write here, is that my wife uses Scrivener and only speaks great about it. So since you are in the making of an iOS Scrivener app, I thought I would share my experience with OneNote and Evernote, of which I’m not 100% satisfied with.

I will describe what I like and dislike about those two, which will end up in what the perfect note app would look like - for me.

• = positive
  • = negative

Note layout

OneNote:

• The notebooks are placed at the left side, not taking up much space - perfect.
  • When you enter a notebook you have a great overview on the left side, because the height of the named files are very small. That way you have 14 documents that’s easy to jump between.

Evernote:

• The notebooks are pretty big, taking up unnecessary space. There’s a small number telling how many notes that’s inside each notebook, I don’t see why that’s needed.
  • When you enter a notebook you have a very lousy overview, because the height of the named files are very high. This way only 4 notes are view able at the left side.

Editing

OneNote:

• If you want to edit a note, you simply touch where you want the cursor at the screen, the keyboard jumps up and you can start writing.

Evernote:

• If you touch the screen nothing happens. If you want to edit, you have to touch an edit button at the bottom of the screen - annoying.

Evernote:

• When you have pressed the edit button, and tabbed where you want to edit, the page get smaller?! There will be two gray areas of the screen which you will not use while editing, you use less of the screen, that seems - not smart.

OneNote:

• The only functions available is: bulleted list, insert picture and a checkbox function.

Evernote:

• Far more possibilities. GREAT with the small toolbar from which you can make bold, italic, underlined and crossing of letters. You can make a numbered bulleted list. Record a soundclip. The things I’d use most would be bold letters, the bulleted list and the numbered bulleted list.

OneNote:

• I can insert a Table in a note if I open the note through Windows. But I can’t edit the table on the iPad. If I press it, it just pops up like a picture.

Evernote:

• I can insert a Table in a note if I open the note in Evernote on the pc. I can edit the table on the iPad, but the size of the table cells changes crazy.

Sorting of notes
Evernote:

• You can sort the notes six different ways, but if I sort them after Title, which I will need (one for each class) then Evernote uses extra space for a bar with each letter above the titled note. That just takes up unnecessary space.

OneNote:

• / - One option. Notes are only sorted after Title name, which is fine for me.

In general I prefer that the usage of the screen size is used smart, so no unnecessary tool bars should take up too much space. As well the simple touch so you don’t have to press 3 times before you can actually start to edit the note.

I hope this input will help, if I’m not explicit enough in some of the descriptions just let me know, and I’ll try to explain it better.

Regards,

Casper