Layouts fast switching

Hi,

First of all, I would like to say that I am pretty impressed by Scrivener. I’m dumbstruck by the overall coherence, quality and, of course, philosophy of this application.

I’m a new user, so please don’t bite if what I am asking for already exists or was mentioned before. (The same could be say for my english as it isn’t my mother tongue). But please tell me if I’m doing something wrong (and you can tell me my English mistakes too).

I find the layout system really convenient as I often switch between two layouts (a minimalistic view and a three-pane view). I put the “Layouts” button in the toolbar.

I’m wondering myself whether it is possible to switch between layouts with a keyboard shortcut, or a simple click. If not, please consider this post as a suggestion :slight_smile:

Hi RodiX,

Welcome aboard and thank you for your kind words about Scrivener.

The answer to your question is that you can already do what you wish, though not directly via Scrivener. Unfortunately, there is no easy way for Cocoa applications to allow the user to choose keyboard shortcuts for themselves from within the application. I know a couple of programs somehow manage this - OmniFocus looks as though it will, for instance - but I imagine they are doing a lot of hacking to get it to work.

So, to keep things clean and fully supported via Apple, instead of trying to hack this, I have provided an “All Layouts” submenu in the View > Layouts menu, which lists all the layouts you have created and allows you to switch between them. Essentially, this just duplicates the list in the Layouts panel, but the reason I put it in the menu as well is so that you can assign your own keyboard shortcuts.

All you need to do, then, is go to System Preferences (as opposed to Scrivener’s), choose “Keyboard & Mouse” preferences, and add keyboard shortcuts to Scrivener for the menu item titles of your layouts.

It’s a bit roundabout, but it’s guaranteed not to break. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Hi RodiX,

Welcome aboard and thank you for your kind words about Scrivener.

The answer to your question is that you can already do what you wish, though not directly via Scrivener. Unfortunately, there is no easy way for Cocoa applications to allow the user to choose keyboard shortcuts for themselves from within the application. I know a couple of programs somehow manage this - OmniFocus looks as though it will, for instance - but I imagine they are doing a lot of hacking to get it to work.

So, to keep things clean and fully supported via Apple, instead of trying to hack this, I have provided an “All Layouts” submenu in the View > Layouts menu, which lists all the layouts you have created and allows you to switch between them. Essentially, this just duplicates the list in the Layouts panel, but the reason I put it in the menu as well is so that you can assign your own keyboard shortcuts.

All you need to do, then, is go to System Preferences (as opposed to Scrivener’s), choose “Keyboard & Mouse” preferences, and add keyboard shortcuts to Scrivener for the menu item titles of your layouts.

It’s a bit roundabout, but it’s guaranteed not to break. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

This works perfectly! I didn’t even know I could set shortcuts in system preferences.

Thank you so much.

No more suggestion then :wink:

I’ve got another idea. What about having a keyboard shortcut to switch to the next layout?

I was thinking about something more or less similar to Command-Tab to switch to the next app (without the graphical window of course), or Ctrl-Tab in Firefox to switch to next tab…

In this case, if there isn’t any other layout, or any layout at all, the keyboard shortcut doesn’t do anything.