LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 025 RELEASED

Since I haven’t had a chance to get up a new thread with changes listed (which may take a little time before I can compile that, as I don’t have a full list from Lee yet either), for now just continue adding to the end of the 024 list, but indicate in the post that the bug is for 025. As before, if you could create a new topic for the bug report itself, and then just post a link to that at the end of the Known Bugs list, that would be easiest for keeping things organized.

For now, the initial post in the 024 Known Bugs list does mark at least some of the fixed bugs. If your bug report–such as the double past from Chrome–is on that list and not marked fixed, you don’t need to report it again. If you don’t see it there, or if it’s marked fixed but you’re still getting the issue, then please post and let me know so I can make sure we follow up on it.

As before, there are other bugs that Lee and I have on the list that I haven’t yet gotten up there, ergh. If you’ve seen other posts about the bug, even if it’s not listed, I’ve probably already gotten it, but feel free to post a link to that thread just to make sure, and of course additional information is always helpful. I’ll attempt to get up an updated known bugs list for 025 as well as a list of changes once I’ve got that information from Lee and have been able to mark off the fixes from the earlier list.

Thanks for your patience!

(And of course if you all want to start a new thread of “New Fun Features/Fixes We Discovered” by all means go ahead. :wink:)

Woop-woop!

I only discovered that Scrivener for Windows was a reality a few days back, and have been ghosting the threads ever since, waiting for 025.

I’ve not used the earlier Betas nor watched the tutorials, so I’m looking forward to finding out how intuitive the interface is to a complete newb. I’ll be moving my existing projects (short stories and a novel) over from OpenOffice this weekend and get stuck in - I’ll try not to flag up any issues that’ve been reported/answered on earlier threads.

Lee and the rest of the team, thanks for all your hard work.

I’ve found it very intuitive so far. I don’t have the patience to watch the tutorials and I may have clicked help once. I’ve used Scrivener for almost a month, and I still just point and click on what makes sense. The only issue I had was not being able to automatically see the footer (View->Layout) so I was unable to click on the layout options. I know now that was bug but I didn’t naturally know what ‘footer’ actually meant for Scrivener.

I expected changing the arrangement of the corkboard be set under (Tools->Option->Corkboard). The hint text says ‘Layout Options’ but the dialogue title is ‘Corkboard Options’ - and that’s what it really is. It’s a very minor issue, but I thought I may mention it anyway since I wasted a bit of time on this until MM helped out.

It seemed odd to be somewhere else even though I get that it’s a ‘layout options’

The hover text disagreeing with the dialogue title is a mistake, and that will change so it reads Corkboard Options, as you’d expect. The cards across setting can also be reached via the Layout>Corkboard menu; the other options like size and spacing require sliders for adjustment and so can’t be in the menu–they need a dialogue window, and that’s what the footer pop up is for.

These preferences are separate from those in the Options tab because they apply at a project level whereas the preferences set in Tools>Options apply globally and generally affect all your projects. With the separation, you can choose to have just two cards across in one project, with a large card size, but have four or five across in another where you don’t need as much text per card, etc. It just provides more versatility, the same way you can choose to have labels show in the binder for one project but not for another. There are a lot of customizable options in Scrivener, though, so I know it can be tricky sometimes finding just the one you want. Lee’s adjustments to the menus for 025 I think is a big step up in terms of intuitiveness, but there’s probably always going to be one or two things that get you. :wink:

MM, as always - thanks for the prompt explanation. It truly doesn’t bother me, but was just something I noted in that I will look for a tools->options (or edit->options) to change settings, doesn’t matter what software I’m using. I always hope everything I need is there.

But I understand what you’re saying about the global and project level thing - so whatever Scrivener thinks is best is fine with me. To date, I only have one project so my view is limited. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’ve had to implement and support software that cost clients tens of thousands of dollars and the user experience was just plain miserable. Scrivener has been a welcome change for it’s ease of use. When you get all excited about an idea and just want to write, the last thing you want is to spend time learning how the software works before you felt you could be productive. If it was like that, I’d just be too lazy and switch back to Word. So I’m not complaining, especially if I bump into one or two things.

Happy beta customer :slight_smile:

Oh, I didn’t take it as a complaint. :wink: I just figured I’d explain why it is where it is, especially since the global/project-level settings can throw people off. It’s good to know that using Scrivener has been generally intuitive and enjoyable for you!

Ok, dammit…MM, I didn’t really think you thought I was complaining. I just wanted another opportunity to gush. I’ve got writer’s block so rather than actually do work in Scrivener, I’d rather be talking about it, contemplating why I like it so much. Sheesh! [Gone back to do write some more crap]

Heh heh heh. Why do you think I’m hanging out here?

MM, it’s been days!

And after all my rattling on about using Scrivener without needing help. I’m actually sitting in front of my computer stuffing my face with pop-corn and reading the Scrivener User Manual thinking, “this is well written”. How sad…

:slight_smile:

Hey Lee and crew,
Thanks for the great work on the update. I downloaded it as soon as I saw it was available, and installed it over 024. No problems so far 8)

Since you have added menus and other content, I have noticed one thing that might be changed simply for convenience: The way it stands right now, when Scrivener marks a word as a potential misspelling (red squiggly under the word) and the user right-clicks on the word, the list of suggested spellings is down near the bottom of the popup menu.

This seems odd to me since right-click popup menus are generally context sensitive, popping up with a menu populated with options most likely to be of use for whatever the user has clicked on. In my humble opinion, the user is generally right-clicking on these potential misspellings to either correct the spelling, or add it to the spelling dictionary. This being the case, the list of potential spellings (and the learn word option, for that matter) should be at the top of the popup menu. (as a point to consider when deciding on this: most, if not all, windows applications I have used do this. In fact, as I write this, the editing options popup menu I get when I click on any word has the suggested spellings and the learn word option tacked to the top of it when I click on any potentially misspelled word.)

The only thing that would be better than this, in my opinion, would be for the list of potential spellings, and the learn word option to be at the end of the menu closest to the cursor (sometimes the top of the menu is even with the word that has been right-clicked on, sometimes the bottom of the menu is even with the word. I presume this is dependent upon whether the word is near the top or bottom of the screen). I don’t know if that is possible to code with out to much headache though, which is why I suggested coding it in what seems to be the accepted Windows convention.

As I said, it is merely a matter of convenience and personal preference. The way it is will work fine, and be no trouble to use. Take a look at it and see if you agree with me, and whether it would be worth the trouble to change. I will happily accept whatever you decide.

Thanks again for a wonderful program, I love it (and even got one of my son’s friends to get the Mac version for himself - He says he loves it too), Lunarclipper.

Me too :blush:

When I hit ctrl+alt+down to try to show the footer toolbar, instead it turned my entire desktop screen upside down. And it still doesn’t show the footer toolbar. I can’t figure out how to turn that back on. I rather enjoyed being able to see my word count as I write.

MimeticMouton mentions this in her post “025 Shortcuts (incl. Ctrl-Delete)”

That’s a known conflict (I saw it mentioned on another thread) with a Windows (7?) command to change the display.

You can still turn the footer on via the menu: View/Layout/Show Footer View

Thanks. I went back and read the original post (had already read it twice but just didn’t see that part) and finally figured it out.

That was a little jarring. Saw the work-around, but man, was it unexpected.

lol I have to say: I got so used to that bug where the index card in the Inspector screen was colored with the label color, that now that it’s not there anymore I’m almost disappointed. Haha, not complaining, but it was rather amusing to look at. :wink:

So far guys: loving the update. I’ve been anxious for this update for a week or two, as I’ve been anticipating Camp NaNo along with some of the others. Great job! :slight_smile:

If you turn on View>Use Label Color In>Index Cards, it will be there again only look right! :slight_smile:

Good luck with Camp Nano!

Oh, yay! Thankies! That does make me feel better. :slight_smile: And, thanks for the wish of luck - I may need it. :wink: