[LH3041] Bug - Spaces remain invisible

When I click to show non-visible signs, I get to see only the sign for the returns and the arrow for tabs, but not any more the spaces . I’m quite sure,they were there in version 3.
So now I can’t find anymore when someone starts a new paragraph with a space. That clean-uo-tool to turn several spaces betwen words into only one, doesn’t hellp in this instance.

Hello! Thanks for posting this. Can you help me narrow down the issue a bit further? For instance are you using the default colours for text and background? Does this occur for you in a new version of the Tutorial project? And to clarify, is it only spaces that are not appearing or are you having this difficulty with other invisibles as well?

Thank you for your help in this.

I’m using th default colors
Only the spaces are invisibile, as far I can see…
Returns and soft returns are good.
The arrows for the tabs are there, but tiny and barely visible. (There I made one in the first line indentation.) That could be better.

Should there be more? Protected spaces perhaps, showing different than normal spaces ,as the do with Libreoffice?

This is in my own project that I started with the Beta.
But in the interactive tutorial , the spaces don’to show either.

Actually, the spaces are showing—at least I can see them on my Mac Retina screen. For instance if you look between the “ and the W of ‘Wieder’ there is a tiny little dot low down near the “ but, like the arrow for the tab, it’s in pale grey and much smaller than the font size. Where it follows a ‘t’, as in ‘seit’ it gets lost against the terminal of the ‘t’.

No doubt that doesn’t help you for the moment, Dorothea, but I hope it’ll help the team find a solution. The question seems to be, “Why aren’t they blue and sized similarly to the return and new line glyphs?”

:slight_smile:

Mark

Oh!
I don’t have a Mac - obviously.
I now switched to 800% - the screenshot above was 400%. With 800% I can indeed see something. Barely.
This won’t do. They need to be visible at 100%.
Also, they better return to the center of the space and the line, as they are in 1.9.7, and not attached at the bottom of the last letter.

Of course it won’t do, but this is a beta you are using; I’m sure the guys will sort it out, as @thephilosoraptor—who is part of the support team … I’m not—implies. When they will sort it is down to their prioritisation in relation to the hundreds of other issues that have been reported.

Whether these glyphs are centred in the space or not will be down to the font in use in my experience, and/or the text kit in the new version of Qt, but clearly they should be of appropriate size and colour to be easily visible.

Patience must be your watchword.

:slight_smile:

Mark

Really? In 1.9.7 I have them always in the center of the space; no matter which font I use. Even in Greeek

Beta testing (in this case Open Beta and not Closed) should not to be confused as being certified as ‘Code Released’. Users are reminded of this when they agreed to download the product ‘as is’ with no guarantee of working properly but with more functionality than an Alpha Release and testing it over different platforms providing input of to the developers with the ‘understanding’ that its not bug free. Thus why its in Beta Release. Users are also reminded that the product should not be used for what is considered ‘important’ projects as all features of the program are prone to ‘snafu’s’, both known and unknown

In software development, a beta test is the phase of software testing in which a sampling is released with willing participants to try the product out as in house testers may not see all problems due to various hardware and software variations.

This should not be compared (for productivity’s sake) against a previously released version (such as 1.9.7) in Windows as that product has been certified as ‘Code Released’ or ‘Gold’ for the public commercially.

Also users shouldn’t readily compare all features provided on a Mac as that is based on a different hardware and software architecture (such as using key functions).

For widely-distributed software, developers may make the test version available for downloading and free trial over the Web (as this is version 2.9.0.6 currently).

The issue seems to be that some of the marks for invisible characters–spaces and tabs–are not scaling with the editor zoom. Are you not seeing them at all at 100%, even if you change the colour to something brighter? In my testing (which is using a high-resolution screen at the moment), the size and placement of the invisibles looks fine at 100%, but as the editor zoom increases, the space dots do not, nor are they adjusting their position to the relative size of the text.

This is probably from changes in the Qt framework, which have caused some text display issues, though it may also be from adjustments to the editor zoom–most of those were in the previous beta, though, so if this only started with Beta 6 it’s probably the former. In any case, I’ve filed the bug for the developers. Thanks for reporting it!

As a followup on what was noted I’ve tried going from the smallest view, 50% on up and have noticed the following. As you zoom outwards the space dot does not adjust as been noted but also that at its lowest setting of zoom the dot is located next to the far right character. As you adjust zoom outwards (or closer inwards) the character representing ‘space’ starts to shift to the left and when at full max due to its diminished appearance it appears to vanish, but is still there, barely seen. So at 100% zoom it appears to be centered as this is by default the ‘normal’ default when viewing.

Hope this helps as well.

Very helpful. Not.
Are you male?

Wiith bright green it’s a bit better.

The issue existed in Beta 5, too.
As far I remember, they were good in Beta 3 - beta 4, I don’t know; I didn’t look for it.

Thanks for checking and the extra info, and thanks to everyone else who has tested and made suggestions to help figure this out. The bug is logged; in the meanwhile, I’m afraid invisibles will just look best near a 100% editor zoom. :slight_smile:

Beta12: The bug still exists.