[LH3483] Scrivener crashed when deleting files from Trash

I didn’t want to simply empty trash, I wanted to get rid of a couple of sizable items to keep the size of the project down. I selected multiple items, then used the Edit/Delete command (since I couldn’t find another way to do it just then). Scrivener disappeared. Just gone.

I started it back up and only some of the files I tried to delete were gone, some still there.

I went to delete the remaining ones just now and noticed the Delete option in the context menu when I right-clicked on the multiple selection. (Still getting used to where things are.) It gave me the same confirmation box I got through the Edit/Delete command. This time it deleted them without a hitch.

Dunno what happened the first time. Idiosyncratic problem with one of the files?

Thanks! This has been filed.

I am not seeing this precise problem, but I find that deleting anything from trash (Beta 16) is always painfully slow and causes Scrivener to stop responding for a second or two (my PC is fairly modern Core i7, with 16GB RAM and Scrivener running from a high-speed Samsung SSD, so I don’t think it’s causing the problem.

Scrivener always recovers from the “not responding” state, and the files are deleted as expected, but I’m posting this here in case its related to the other problems people are reporting with the trash. I assume that cleaning it up ought to be quick, safe and painless.

I’ll add a post here that I originally put up in the wrong location.

I found that when trying to empty trash, if I multi-select more than a certain amount of items Scrivener will crash every time.

If I select an item which has sub-items, it’s guaranteed. However, if I expand the main item, then multi-select the sub-items (without the main item selected), then I’m fine. Unless, of course, one of the sub-items is the header for more sub-items!

Once the sub-items are deleted, then the header item can be deleted without killing Scrivener. I’m not a coder, but this appears to me to be maybe a stack overflow error of some sort? The array created by the sub-items is overwhelming Scrivener’s capacity to keep track of things maybe.

I only found references to this sort of thing from way back in 2010-11:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/crash-emptying-trash/13405/3

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/025-crash-using-menu-project-empty-trash/13446/6

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/fatal-crash-after-pausing-emptying-trash-noted/9156/1

As to questions from these threads about the items still being in the trash when I restarted Scrivener, I most often get a small window saying that some files were found and tacked onto the end of the Project as such (not exact wording, can’t remember). SOMETIMES Scrivener restarts with deleted files correctly deleted. I suspect it’s an issue where Scrivener is able to update it’s database before it actually crashes, whereas it crashes too quickly other times, causing the end-of-Project appendage.

My machine is an Acer Aspire E15, E5-575G-57D4.
i5-7200U CPU
16GB Ram
Windows 10, build 17763

Thanks for reading.

Huh, I haven’t been getting this one, and I did delete a lot of things from Trash today. Maybe difference between ntfs and ext4?