[LH3683] CTL-N for new document puts focus in the binder - even when the binder isn't visible

Creating a new scene with the keystroke CTL-N, with the binder not visible (regular editor, not composition, just no binder visible), puts the cursor in the title field for the file in the binder. That works if the binder is visible, but if you’re on a roll and forget that, the binder being invisible means you suddenly lost your cursor (you think).

I think that’s a bug?

Ctrl + Tab — switches between the Binder and the Editor

Scrivener assumes that if you’ve created a new scene, you’d like to name it.
If you want to just keep creating new scenes, hold down Ctrl+n, it’ll let you ignore the rename prompt.
You can up or down arrow off the rename prompt.
If you simply tab from that rename prompt, you’ll get your cursor back.

I agree not having the cursor visible for a moment is annoying.

So how should Scrivener behave when a new scene is created if you don’t have the Binder in focus?

Preferably like on the mac version, where if the binder isn’t even visible, you have a new file named untitled until you change it. The cursor is in the document, ready for you to continue typing.

Good to know! (not the issue though, since I work with the binder closed most often. I know, I know, to each their own :smiley: )

If that’s the way the Mac version behaves, I’m guessing that eventually the Win version will behave that way. Just guessing, tho.

Yeah, this is definitely not yet working the way it is designed to. Simply put, the focus should remain where it was when creating new items. If you are working in the binder then it is natural and seamless to be giving names to things and moving them around. If you are typing in the editor, you should be able to go from the last word of one scene into the first word of the next with no more interruption than the shortcut. If you’re writing synopses in the inspector, you should go from one card to the next—etc.

Switching to a system where titles are optional, and can be beneficially left blank, is what made this approach doable. If you are the sort that does prefer to name scenes as you go rather than leaving them as “placeholder” text, there will be an optional behaviour added to make it work like it does currently. Additionally one can enable titles in scrivenings mode, which makes naming new sections more like typing in headings in a word processor.