[LH3910] Cursor in one editor jumps when change made in other editor

I’ve had this problem for a couple iterations of the beta, and it’s persisting in RC1 (beta 21). I believe it was reported elsewhere but I can’t find it.

I have my left editor showing a group in Scrivenings mode. With my right editor active I select a file in the binder that is in the group shown in the left editor. As soon as I start typing in the right editor, the left editor view jumps to the position of the file selected in the right editor. The cursor position in the left editor does not change; if I activate the left editor without clicking in the text area, then move the cursor, the view jumps back to where I left off in the left editor.

This does not happen if the right editor is showing a file that is not in the group shown in the left editor.

Managed to reproduce this.

Interestingly, it doesn’t happen for me if I don’t hit a return key. As SOON as I do, the scrivenings view shifts to show the positional changes.

It can also happen if I insert text in front of a wide picture. ANY change in position of major elements, and the Scrivenings view shifts to the point of change (not necessarily the point you’d think; it doesn’t focus on where I typed, for example. It snaps to an image for me.

Before:
[attachment=0]scriv_scrivenshift_before.JPG[/attachment]
The right editor is positioned mear the start of Scene 13, at the end of the paragraph. The left editor is in Scrivenings mode, at the start of Scene 1.

Hit return. Just once.

After:
[attachment=1]scriv_scrivenshift_after.JPG[/attachment]
The left editor is in Scrivenings mode, somewhere near the end of Scene 13. Not even to where the change was made.

Intended? Or not? It’s annoying, and it pretty much removes reliability from Scrivenings view. Can’t tell where it’s going to go next.

Thanks for your comments, they inspired me to explore a bit further.

It appears to happen with any change of formatting as well. When I put my cursor in the right editor, highlight some text, and make it bold, or change the font, the left editor jumps to a new point.

Correct, it’s not always easy to see why the left editor jumps to where it does, since the cursor position does not move in the left editor.
Also, to clarify my original post on this, I said there “With my right editor active I select a file in the binder that is in the group shown in the left editor.” In fact, this happens if the right editor is also in Scrivenings view looking at the same set of files that the left editor is looking at.
The work-around I’ve been using is to activate the left editor without clicking in the text area, so the cursor stays in its original position, then hit one of the arrow keys. This bumps the cursor and the view pops back to where it was.

This has been fixed and will be available with the next update.