[LH4050][LH4233] Continued problems with Lists / Bullets - moving up/down and changing indent [RC1]

Edit: Sorry, this and my previous post were meant as an update to a different thread. I can’t update the old post above, sorry, but I’ve removed my post from here, see viewtopic.php?f=57&t=61203&p=327772#p327772 instead if you want to see problems with how they indent.

With RC14, I’m excited to see the moving bullets / changing indent features coming along.

CTRL-ALT-SHIFT + [UP, DOWN, LEFT, or RIGHT ARROW] is working with these caveats:

1. Moving a bullet up or down sometimes flattens any existing multi-level indentation as the moving bullet passes by. Haven’t figured out why it doesn’t do this every time.

2. Moving text up and down results in text being selected, which needs to be deselected with mouse click or arrow key stroke before text will continue to move.

3. Multiple bullets can be selected and moved up and down (yay!), but not left or right.

Thanks again for putting energy into this useful feature for those of us who present, teach, etc.

Wow, thank you Tridens for carrying this torch for us. And thank you to the developers, for whom I’m certain this wasn’t easy.

I’ve been away from the forums (and writing) for a couple years now, and I was floored to return and find bullets and lists were still an issue. Holy shit, Microsoft.

But intuitive list controls and beautiful, consistent results are so necessary, and I’m convinced it’ll be worth the wait.

I am using Scrivener 3 Beta, latest. So far no bugs, yet.

My problem: I’m using the tedious Format/ Paragraph/ Increase/Decrease Indents/ and select either Increase Indents or Decrease Indents as I needed.

I looks to customising the toolbar and add the Increase and Decrease Indent buttons in the toolbar, but I don’t see these buttons in the Customising Toolbar dialog. Confusing…

I searched online, no one got any clue, so I searched here, and found this one after hours of searching. Seems like right place to ask my question: I’m wondering when the I/D indents buttons be back soon?

I find I uses the mouse a lot more than anything else. I’m proofreading huge stacks of stuff, editing as I go. The I/D indents buttons would makes my work a lot easier.

Thanks for making Scrivener awesome, everyone, much obliged.

I can confirm I am still having issues with inconsistent list indentation in RC15; when I carry on a list with indentation from an old session, the indentation of the new lines is inconsistent with the old ones, despite not changing any margins.

Hello, I’m adding my voice to this issue. At this point with all the good work to date, this is now my top issue. I haven’t found any good workarounds, but if anyone has anyone has any, I’d appreciate a pointer to them. Given that this is being worked on, I don’t really need a response. My description below is there in case the developers dive into this thread as part of troubleshooting.

I frequently use outlines/bulleted lists in my work and currently it is very difficult to not have my lists get into problems when editing or moving items in the list. It is ultimately unusable and I end up in situationgs where I cannot figure out how to get the list working after issues appear. I often need to scrap and rebuild the list manually. Undo often does not restore the list to its most previous state either. Issues happen so frequently that I don’t even know where to begin in describing the issues. Some of them are documented in others’ posts. When trying to edit my top two are probably: numbered levels can reset to one; alignments of different levels are inconsistent for no apparent reason.

youtu.be/kUwBqnv9-0A

I posted an example of this in action. It has the side effect of sometimes pushing the cursor all the way to the far right and any new character seems to be interpreted only as a new line character. It is difficult to reproduce in a new project. I’m not sure whether this was a new bug or and old bug, I should have just included it here instead. If I come across it again I’ll post another video with ruler and show invisibles activated - but generally I avoid using lists to avoid exactly this issue now.

I still get this in RC21.

I’m not sure whether these bug numbers actually are tracking what we’re reporting now or what we reported initially. I also posted in the new forum, not realizing this forum would be kept open for further comment. So if anyone comes looking for clear examples, see the following video for a demonstration of the issue where after re-opening a project, new list items have a different indentation to lists created before closing/re-opening the project.

youtu.be/XWdi6lQnu_M