[LH4390] User-created blockquote style does not carry over into compiled Mobi file

Product: Scrivener (Version: 2.9.0.40 Beta (845700) 64-bit - 24 Feb 2020)
Platform: Windows (windows 10)
Name: John Crabb

Bug description:
A blockquote style which I created does not seem to carry over to the compiled Mobi file. It is still present and the text is correctly formatted in the manuscript but gets lost on compile. This is a new thing with the Version: 2.9.0.40 Beta (845700) 64-bit - 24 Feb 2020, it always worked with previous versions.

Steps to reproduce:
Created a blockquote style by ‘creating style’ from a formatted paragraph. Works in m/s but the blockquote formatting was no longer apparent in Kindle reader when I opened the Mobi file.

Has this been accepted as a genuine BUG? I cannot make any progress with my current project until it can be fixed or, if I have done something wrong, found out how to avoid the problem. Thanks

Verify that the blockquotes appear as expected in the ePub output.
If the ePub output is also broken please upload a small demo project with a document or two that shows the problem. Please try the latest Beta 41 build, as there were some related ePub fixes.

Confirmed that problem still persists with epbub output with B41.

Please advise how I can upload the small demo project you requested. Which folders and files do you need?

demo of blockquote error.scriv.zip (404 KB)

OK, got it. Here is a small project with a blockquote section which doesn’t carry over to epub file when I compile it.

Okay there are some configuration issues with your demo that would cause this to not work no matter what, but in going through the steps you would take to fix this, I note there do indeed seem to be some bugs as well.

Firstly on the matter of configuration—since you’re going to need to know that no matter: the problem is that Scrivener needs to be somehow informed of the fact that you consider this particular style to be a proper block quote. Out of the box, we have all of our compile Formats (such as the generic Ebook format you are using in this demo) to presume one refers to this style as “Block Quote” (and that is also the default block quote style name for this reason). Our system is also limited in that you are only going to be using one particular style for all proper block quotes—we’ll come back to that. So in a simple case where one creates their own block quote style, you would have two different ways of approaching it:

• Just rename your project’s style to “Block Quote”. All of the default Formats work automatically. This is going to be the easiest approach of course.
  • If you need or want something different, then you must inform the compiler of what you want:

[*] Enter File ▸ Compile….

• Double-click on the “Ebook” format in the left sidebar to duplicate and edit it.
  • In the “Styles” list, locate the “Block Quote” style and rename it to whatever you need to use in your project (“blockquote2”, in this case).
  • Save your settings, and test.

You might be wondering how that is sufficient to tell Scrivener what a block quote is—and it would be a good question, because that all by itself makes no sense. :slight_smile: It works because we are renaming what it already considers a block quote, beneath the name of it. To really change which style is a block quote, you would head over to the HTML Elements pane and switch it there.[/*:m]

Now here is where we encounter bugs. That should work, but it won’t, on account of what appears to be a widespread failure of styles making it through the compiler in general. My guess is that block quotes are just a casualty in that rather than anything special.

Now as to having multiple block quote styles all working in the end as simple

HTML—there would be ways of doing that that we could explore. But at the moment I’m not sure if you have four or five different block quote formats merely to probe the extent of this problem, or if it is a necessary condition for how this project is set up. There would be ways to do this—but at the moment none of them work anyway, on account of the bug.

1. Thank you for that explanation. I find it a bit difficult to understand but I will work through it and try to tidy up my use of styles.
  2. Actually, I am not even sure if what I am doing is really a ‘blockquote’ which, I now understand, is an HTML term with a specific meaning. This is really just a paragraph style which I want to use occasionally to simulate newspaper quotes in this work of fiction. I need two slightly different styles. Can I create, name and save two different styles to apply to a few paragraphs throughout the work.
  3. The puzzling thing is that my erroneous use of the ‘blockquote2’ label actually did carry over to the mobi file on previous betas, up to 39. Only with B40 have I hit this problem.
    Finally,
  4. As the compiled file is being uploaded to Kindle, and because they accept various formats, is there one which avoids this problem? If it is only Mobi and eBook which do not receive the formatting, would doc, docx or something else work?

Many thanks.

The HTML

is indeed a formal type, like a (as opposed to just an image inline with some text somewhere). So if you have a class of quotation that is closer to the concept of an long-form quotation in a non-fiction work, then it would be best to use it for that one. It doesn’t matter too much though, as most people will just be seeing the end result in their reader devices.

Once styles are working properly again, you should see the formatting you use in the project (how they look in the editor) is roughly what they export like. The only major exception to that rule of thumb is if you add a rule in the compile Format that changes how styles of that name look.

There should be an update out shortly that fixes this. Otherwise there isn’t a really good alternative, although I suppose in a pinch one could upload a .docx file to KDP.

Many thanks for your help Ioa. I will sit tight and wait for the fix to be released.