Libertinus Serif and printing: Resolved

Any of you font geeks out there know why printing a document in Libertinus Serif on a Brother DCP-J55DW ink-jet prints normally, while printing it to a HP LaserJet Pro M252dw ends up looking like a dogs dinner?

Mark

Some users reported similar problems here: https://github.com/alerque/libertinus/issues/62

Do you have the latest version of the font(s) installed? Releases · alerque/libertinus · GitHub

2 Likes

Not a specific answer, as such, but many moons ago I had a similar issue. Can’t remember the font, but it wouldn’t print to an HP LaserJet printer accurately. At least not directly. As a workaround, it would print if sent to a PDF first.

So word processor to printer did not work.

But word processor to PDF to printer did work.

Never bothered to investigate it further. Got it working and was happy to move on.

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you.

1. @SWM: I tried wordprocessor → PDF → printer, but it was no different.

2. @November_Sierra: the thread you linked to dated back to 2017 and didn’t provide any clue; but the link you gave solved the problem. I downloaded that version (from Jan 2021), removed the old family, installed the new, and all is working.

It’s a nice font and has glyphs that Adobe Garamond Pro doesn’t, so I’ll use it as my standard font from now on, though I still really like AGP.

:smile:

Mark

2 Likes

Sorry, I should’ve been more specific. From my understanding, the (TTF-)auto hinting of some older versions / “unofficial” builds of the fonts didn’t play nice with certain HP printers. If you follow the links in said old thread you’ll see examples looking alarmingly similar to yours. The interesting point however was: 2017.

Short version: Never mind. Glad it worked out. :+1:

2 Likes

Good to hear you’ve got it working. Will have to take a look at the font.

1 Like

Brain malfunction! I didn’t actually go to any of the links as the thread was 5 years old, having completely forgotten that I probably downloaded my existing version of the font about 10 years ago, if not more! So I just followed the link to download the newest version following your suggestion.

:laughing:

Mark

1 Like