Line numbering in Composition Mode

Hi,

I’m new here. I have been using Scrivener for a few years now and love the program, but I’m having trouble figuring out something small that is frustrating me.

In one of my current projects, when I enter Full Screen/Composition Mode, it shows line numbering down the left of the paper. I want to remove this, but choosing the Options > Show Line Numbering (or Hide Line Numbering) makes no difference to the Composition Mode. This only happens for one project, not for all projects that I have open.

I figure I must have turned this option on somewhere while looking at the Preferences, but for the life of me I can’t find it now to turn it off. I’ve searched on Google but come up with nothing addressing this dilemma.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated! I’m sure it’s something simple, I just can’t find it myself.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Since it only happens for the one project, it’s probably just its project’s settings that are jammed up for whatever reason. I would follow this procedure:

  1. Use the [b]Window/Layouts/Manage Layouts...[/b] command.
  2. Save your current project settings to a layout with the [b]+[/b] button. You might want to add full settings with the checkboxes under the thumbnail, after doing so.
  3. Close that and from the project window that is having troubles, use the File menu, but hold down the Option key and select “Close Project and Clear Interface Settings”.
  4. Reload the project. Everything will be stock vanilla now. Line numbers should be gone from composition mode.
  5. If you want, use the layout you saved to return your project to how it looked before clearing the settings. This may cause the bug to come back, so if it does just repeat steps 2–4, and you might want to delete the layout so you don’t cause the bug to spread. :slight_smile: You’ll have to restore your project layout settings manually, unfortunately.

That seems to have fixed the problem–thanks so much! It really was bugging me.

I was just thinking what might have caused this, and I remember that this particular project is one that I opened with a trial version of the Windows version of the software for a test run. That may not have anything to do with it, but it’s the only thing I can think of that is different between this project and the others I use.

Anyways, thanks again. Much better now!

Well sometimes these settings files can get messed up. It’s down to the Mac writer code for preference files. In fact Mac and Windows use completely different UI files (Windows uses a more traditional INI file), in part because there is obviously no Mac preference writing for Windows, but also because until the interfaces are much closer, there is no point in sharing preference files for how the project looks. That is why outliner columns and other settings are per-platform.

But yeah, it happens! That’s why there is a menu command to help rebuild the settings file. :slight_smile: