Line spacing discrepancy

Hi everyone,

Newbie here, and just dipping my toe into the deep waters of Scrivener… :smiley:

I’m the general tech help for my non-tech writer husband :open_mouth: and my query relates to something he did almost as soon as he started using Scrivener for the first time (today). I have done a search through the forum, and online, but I can’t find this specific problem anywhere. Apols if I’ve overlooked the answer.

He imported some text from MS Word on two separate occasions (probably from two different Word docs). He then found that there was a difference in line spacing in the two text fragments. At this point they were in one text section. I separated them into 2 sections and tried to adjust line spacing.

One was set at 1.0, the other at 1.5. Easy, I thought, and adjusted the 1.0 spaced-text to 1.5 (his preferred spacing). It adjusted, but not as much as it should have. I saw that line height on his preferred spacing was also set to ‘At least 16.0’. So I adjusted the other one. It didn’t make any discernible difference.

I can’t get the spacing to match unless I change inter-line spacing to 2.0. Which I don’t think is a good solution - all the text should have the same settings and look the same, right?

I’ve lined up both text fragments, and typed out a paragraph from the preferred text into the ‘unruly’ text, to make a like-for-like comparison (see attached). On the left is the unruly spacing, on the right is the preferred. They are both Helvetica Neue Regular 13.

So, as both settings are identical, can anyone point to why they don’t look identical?

Many thanks for your time!

One extremely easy way to implement formatting, when you have an example sitting in front of you, is to put your cursor in the paragraph that looks right, use the Format/Text/Copy Ruler menu command, place the cursor into the paragraph that looks wrong, and you guessed it, use the Format/Text/Paste Ruler command.

By the way there is another command that can be useful, Documents/Convert/Formatting to Default Text Style. It uses the settings in Preferences, and is a great tool for cleaning up text coming in from disparate sources.

As to what is actually going on, it would be hard to say without a live example to dig into. I can say from the graphics you uploaded, there is more than line height between the two that is different. Kerning is definitely different, perhaps other things as well. Hopefully why is academic, if the above tools work.

As you can see in the following, I can centre the samples on the letter ‘o’, but everything around that letter becomes increasingly different the further away you get from the middle.

[size=80]The two text samples in overlay, with one sample set to 50% opacity.[/size]

Thanks AmberV,

I didn’t know about the copy ruler function - sounds really useful.

I’m just getting my head around the universal preferences setting and the convert to default text style. Am I right in thinking the latter only affects the text fragment you are currently in?

Your text sample overlay is amazingly gee whiz and blew me away! Really useful and a great idea! No idea how my husband creates these scenarios, it’s an innate skill.

Thanks again!

It is a bulk tool, but it works contextually, depending upon where your cursor is. For instance if you put the cursor in the text editor and use the command, then yes in that case it would affect only the fragment you are working in. However if you select five documents in the binder and use the command from there, all five items will be cleaned up. Likewise if you load five or ten items into a Scrivenings session in the main editor and run the command from the editor, those file documents will targeted.