Line spacing

I don’t know whether this is a bug or not, but the line spacing in page layout doesn’t seem to follow the standard of most word processors. When 1 is selected in Scrivener, the line spacing looks wider than when 1 is selected in, say, Pages.

This is Scrivener:

This is Pages:

Can you select the text in the first line and make sure it is actually 1x line spacing? That doesn’t look right to me. When I paste some text into Scrivener using Palatino 13pt, the same looks more like Pages.

Thanks for the quick reply. This is what I did.

  1. Opened Scrivener
  2. Open the interactive tutorial
  3. Went to the first file Step 1: Beginnings.
  4. Toggle to page layout view
    Noticing that the line spacing looked odd, compared to the setting 1.0, I tried to change it. If I decrease the setting to less than 1.0, the line spacing narrows, but went I put it back to 1.0 it looks more like a 1.5.
    The odd thing is that if I create a new document and paste some text with Palatino Regular 13 (which is the same font as in the interactive tutorial), I get the correct line spacing.
    Any possible explanation? Could this be a quirk in the interactive tutorial?

All right, after experimenting a bit in the tutorial, I found the problem. First created a new document at the top and then used Paste and Match Style to copy the content of “START HERE” into the new document. It came in as 13pt Optima 1.3x. Everything looked fine. So I set the font to Palatino 13pt and reduced the spacing to 1.0x. The result: it looks the way it should, and nothing like the example which I had split the interface off on the left so I could compare side-by-side. So the next thing I tried was to export the original START HERE document as an RTF file, and then opened it in TextEdit—same problem with spacing, but because it was using the old Apple ruler, I was able to notice that the spacing formula was described as “+6.0”. So I opened up the advanced spacing panel in Scrivener on this text, and saw that Interline spacing was set to 6pts. Interline spacing is just another way to express line spacing. The typical way is a factor of the base font size. If you change the font size to 48, with a factor of 1.2, there will visually be the same proportional amount of space between lines as when it is at 12pt. With interline spacing, the adjustment is static. It will always be 6pt (or about 1.5 at 13pt but not quite) even if the font is increased to 200pt. This method is used far less because of its rigidity, though such rigidity can have its uses. I’m not sure why the tutorial is set using interline spacing instead of 1.5x spacing, but that is why it looks the way it does, and that is why it doesn’t show up in the format bar because it no longer displays an auxiliary formula in an attempt to express the advanced spacing features that are available in the Spacing sub-menu.

Moral of the story is, I guess: when attempting to analyse why a document looks the way it does, don’t rely solely upon the numeral in the spacing drop-down, but use the Spacing sub-menu command to access all of the metrics.

As usual, your responses a very thorough. I’ll take note of that. Thank you very much. By the way, are the presets for paragraph styles global or on a project by project basis?

There used to just be two levels of formatting: the application formatting defaults, and then each individual document. The application defaults would dictate how new documents were initialised when you created them in the binder, but then from that point onward, a document’s formatting would be its own and would never change back to the application default unless you manually told Scrivener do so on a per-document basis (since this action is, by its nature, destructive). The answer now is that there are three levels of formatting, one of which is optional. The application level and document level remain identical, though there is no more control over the manual revert tool than there used to be. In addition, you can also set up per project defaults which override the application default. So if a particular projects needs a different base font, you no longer have to change the application preference while working in it. This new setting is located in the Project/Text Settings... tool. The manual conversion tool, in Documents/Convert/Formatting to Default Text Style will now defer to that project preference, if it has been enabled. If it has not, then it will use the application default.

In this particular case, with the tutorial, the formatting is all in the documents themselves. The project default override is disabled, and since they already exist, they do not defer or consult each user’s application preferences.