Lining up Index Cards Vertically?

Hi,
It seems so simple that I think I must be missing something…I’m trying to find a way to line up the index cards in columns, i.e. sequences that could be moved sort of like one lines up descending cards in Solitaire, then can move a whole sequence of them elsewhere.

Is this possible? If not, it ought to be - seems simple enough.
Nanook

In a way you can, yes. Just set the number of cards per row to 1. You can do this either by right clicking in the Corkboard and selecting “1” from the “Cards Across” contextual sub-menu. Or in the View menu under “Index Cards”. This will probably make the cards rather large, so you can resize the central column to something more manageable unless you do not mind having nearly real-size 3x5 cards!

Next, take a look at the Layouts feature in the View menu. You can find a Layout Window dialogue in there that will let you save the window size and editor width just by changing everything the way you like it and then saving it as a view. This will even save the “Cards Across” setting so you can use the 1 per row for your optimised window size, and 3 across or whatever you prefer, for regular sized windows. Just make sure the little “Save Corkboard/Outliner States” checkbox is set on that particular view.

I think what Nanook is actually asking for is multiple columns, but with each “substory” aligned vertically - like a vertical version of StoryLines.

@Nanook, if that is indeed what you’re asking for, then the answer is no, you can’t, for very good UI reasons to do with the Binder and how documents/cards are laid out within it. There have been many discussions on this board about using the corkboard and why its usage won’t change in the foreseeable future.

However, one of the beauties of Scrivener is that every document can contain other documents. So a very easy way to arrange and move your cards around in groups is to place each group inside a containing document or folder in the Binder. Combined with the split-screen, “Lock in Place” and “Automatically open selection in other editor” functions, you can then easily browse through such stacks of index cards, and move them around till you’re happy with them.