Linking to an exact part of Scrivener project text

Hi,

As I can see “Scrivener link” button in the context menu allows to link any part of text to any part of the project via selecting it in drop-down menu, but what if I need to link the part of text to another part of text in the same project (not to the whole project part) (something like bookmarks in MS Word), i.e. I have a term (word) as a part of a text and I want to add a link to the exact place of its definition in another part of the project. Is this possible?

Thanks.

AFAIK you can only link to another Scrivener object, so the minimal piece of information to link to is a line. This requires that you put that line into a separate text document. I’m afraid it’s not possible to link to an exact position or word within a line.

Generally speaking, using smaller chunks is good advice with Scrivener. The program works better all around the more careful you are to keep each section constrained to one topic. Meta-data like keywords becomes more valuable, project searches more precise, and cross-links like this become more useful.

If for example this is a glossary you are creating, you might consider individual entries for each term, rather than listing all of the terms in a single “Glossary” document. This also means you can use the sort feature to keep your terms alphabetical.

But, it doesn’t always work out like that though. For cases where you need to reference something inside of a longer section, Inspector Comments work well as all-purpose bookmarks. The link takes you to the right section, the comment scrolls you to the spot.

Thanks for suggestions.

Just to be clear then AmberV (I’m new to Scrivener).

If I want a glossary I have to do “Add Text” for each individual glossary entry.
In the main body of the document I can set up links to each individual entry in the glossary.
I can also have a link going back from the individual entry in the glossary to the same point in the main document that I originally came from, so I can carry on reading where I left off.
These hyperlinks will show up when I look at them in Kindle and also in ebooks that use epub.

Have I got that right?

Regards
Peter

Howler, it is not “that” easy. The compiler cannot keep internal links with epub/mobi formats, so you have to compile to something else (Word, HTML…) then convert in ANOTHER software that can translate these internal links to … links.
(hopefully this will not be necessary anymore in 2.+ Scrivener… Someday :p)

Keeping each glossary term in its own document will allow you to create an internal link directly to that term, which will convert to an RTF bookmark when compiling to RTF or an RTF-based DOC, or when compiling to DOC, DOCX, or PDF with the Microsoft Office converters. But you won’t be able to link back from there to the exact spot in your original document, for the same reason that you’re making each glossary term its own document. You can only link to a document as a whole, not to a specific place within the document. So your link back to the first document would take you to the beginning of the document.

If you need a back and forth sort of link for an ebook, perhaps endnotes would suffice? They’ll all be listed together at the end (you could even retitle the endnotes page as “Glossary” so it shows as such in the table of contents) and on compile the footnotes markers will cross-link, so you can jump from your original spot in the text to the definition, then right back to where you were.