Links between sections and in Table of Contents do not compile to PDF

Does the information provided above help you?

I am confused. What information? I am not very technical so you are going to have to be very specific if there is a solution.

If you scroll upward, in this thread, to the very top (or just click the heading to scroll to the top), and then read downward, you may find answers to your questions.

Amber, I am having problems with compiling a 6 x 9 book formatted in PDF. I have copied special for TOC the chapters desired, and laid them out into the contents page. Resulting output is incomplete. Titles of some chapters do not appear and chapter numbering appears to be off. Help needed!

Are you referring to the proper technique for creating a ToC, as described in this post? It almost sounds like you are using the proofing convenience tool, the copy and paste menu command. I wouldn’t bother with that for anything at all myself, though I understand for some it may save a few clicks and be worth it.

To be clear, this means using a better tool for making the PDF, to avoid the problems and limitations described throughout this thread.

I’m trying to add internal links between different documents and compile to a PDF. However, whenever I compile the links don’t seem to work. How would I properly export internal links to PDF?

Welcome to the forum! (Added belatedly - I just noticed this is your first post)

The short answer in Windows is it is not possible. It has to do with the (edit: limited) capabilities of Windows export engine as I understand it.

If you just want links for your own use, you can create a proof copy with link-back to Scrivener though.

See above for more details. (AmberV’s posts)

1 Like

Thank you! That is unfortunate. I do know it is possible on Windows with other programs at least (as I just tried it out with LibreOffice and I can insert internal links) so I can work around it. Thank you!

1 Like

As an update I did a bit of digging and (from my limited knowledge on PDFs) shouldn’t be difficult to add. I can definitely confirm that it is possible to add in linsk to internal areas on windows as I have been able to do it with other software, though as far as I can tell Scrivener doesn’t support the correct type of links.

However, I believe I found out how to do this, or at least a form of it! When adding a link with no prefix it appends the location you input to the end of the current file. This means that if you put “#page=X” with X being the page you would like to go to it can go to it at the click of a link.

This works fine as is but if there is a way to add in named destinations linking to them should be even easier.

I’ll be the first to admit, this is not my area of knowledge, and I think I may have mis-interpreted your use-case.

It sounds like you are NOT trying to link to portions of text in a Scrivener doc like the OP but to a binder item? If so, the Scrivener User’s Manual PDF sounds more like what you are trying to do, and that CAN be done, but it’s a multi step process involving markdown and LaTex iirc. - not the simple “compile to pdf”. Caveat - I have no idea if it is possible with windows. (Of note -the user’s manual - as a Scrivener project - is available ‘somewhere’ to examine, and there are some benefits of of using Libre over Word in another discussion)

@AmberV - can you point @LunarOlympian to the discussions of how you created the users manual for pdf?

1 Like

This is true, it is not impossible to add this capability, and in fact that is what has been done on the Mac. That it has not been done on Windows is more a matter of many competing high to medium priority issues making some things, like this, not available yet. Do you fix a bug, or spend weeks on something new that makes the potential for new bugs?

It isn’t easy to do, but it’s not difficult either. Basically you have to be be able to calculate where a hyperlinked range of text exists on the a particular PDF page, draw a rectangle over it, and make it clickable to another anchor point that you set.

This other software you are referring to is likely dedicated PDF editing software, and is doing all of this in an environment where the X,Y coordinates of the text you select is much easier to calculate, than from the raw font data. Or I guess another way of putting it is that if you have piles of scaffolding that exists for editing a PDF to begin with, this is much easier than if you have a PDF generator that is largely a black box, and then you’re coming along after the fact with no tools at all for editing it, and having to cobble all of this together from scratch.

1 Like