links in MMD-Latex footnotes

Is there any way to create working footnotes that have hyperlinked URLs in them?

I have tried using the native Web Link support in the footnotes, and I have tried using Markdown style links, neither work.

I’m compiling MMD->Latex and then converting to PDF with pdflatex.

The native Web Links get stripped out. The Markdown style get turned into \href’s, which get turned into footnotes by pdflatex.

Help!

As far as I know that is just how MultiMarkdown works with LaTeX: it expresses hyperlinks as a footnote with the URL as the text of the footnote, so if you put a link in a footnote you’ll get a nested footnote. I’ve always preferred that behaviour (well, I don’t put links in footnotes so I don’t mean that part) so I’ve never looked into changing it, but you might get better advice on the MultiMarkdown support forum.

Scrivener doesn’t attempt to do anything with links when compiling to MultiMarkdown, they are more of an internal tool you can use.

If there is no work around from within Scrivener, then I suppose my best bet is to write straight latex into the footnote in Scrivener.

Thanks.

Yes, that should work fine, and that is how MMD is designed to be used. If you have small things that you need to do here and there that are not accommodated for by the MMD syntax and conversion process, then you can just insert straight LaTeX inside of an HTML comment to cause it pass through the conversion process verbatim (the HTML codes will be removed of course).

If you want to change how links work in general though, that is possible using XSLT, there are even example scripts for doing so (the default of which produces a .tex file identical to the normal MMD binary conversion). It will be slower, but at that level you can even change the type of file format you are producing, let alone tweak how hyperlinks display. If you search for XSLT in this sub-forum you should find some useful tips for setting that kind of environment up. From Scrivener, all you need to do is check off the XSLT post-processing flag in the Compatibility compile option pane. With the infrastructure set up in ~/Library/Application Support/MultiMarkdown, Scrivener will use that folder for its post-processing scripts. It’s a bit more complicated, by that’s how you would truly customise MultiMarkdown. Scrivener itself is just responsible for pulling together all of your files and generating a little MMD syntax here and there, such as with footnotes and headings.