Linux 1.9.01 Beta Released

@Alexo:
Sorry, I deinstalled and deleted the .deb-file directly after the event. Please, no extended beta-testing for me…
HWM

@Alexo: I’ll try this on my Ubuntu 18.10 machine soon and report back! Thanks for your efforts.

@sninkychan, thank you.
It must work into any updated distro (Debian 9 based and newer ones), but the installation would be problematic in old distros (Debian 8 and before) due to dependencies includes, so please be careful.

For any distro based on Debian 8 and before, I think the LL’s package is ok.

So, as I intend to continue using it, later on I will fix it to match Debian packaging rules more closely.

EDIT:

1 - The DEB archive is updated to comply with some distros and to be installed in any release. The link to download is ahead, in other post.

I love Scrivener, and I’m so thankful for it. I am a Linux user (twelve years so far). But I bought a licence for Scrivener for Windows. Now I see this thread and the software for Linux. This is awesome!

But I have questions.

I have been running Scrivener for Windows (1.9.8.0) in a Windows virtual machine (Oracle Virtualbox) on my Linux machine. This has worked quite well, but (late as usual) I now see that you kindly did a Linux version of Scrivener, and I installed it. It’s beautiful and opens my Scrivener files just as the Windows version (in the virtual machine) does. But it’s so much nicer and quicker to use this Linux version.

And my questions are: everything seems to work fine in terms of saving files and opening them in either version, so I’m guessing that the formats are the same. Am I right? Can I keep using the Linux version without fear that my files will not be accessible in the Windows version?

Many thanks again for your simply excellent work!

If I recall correctly, the last Linux version released is quite a bit older than the current Windows version, and pre-dates features such as the format changes necessary for syncing to iOS Scrivener. If you’re going to use it cross-platform, you’re probably better off using WINE to run the current Scrivener for Windows version in your Linux environment.

Hi there!

I reviewed my last attempt to make a DEB archive for the now old Scrivener for linux, and I guess am achieved the goal.

NOTE: The intention of this packing is to keep alive the linux version
of this awesome software, with fixes and adjustments on the last
original released versions of its DEB packages, into an updated package
(as much as possible) adapted to distribution's releases after Debian 8
(Jessie). 
Alex.. - <lex@teknik.io>

Download: <DEB archive and dependencies v1.9.0.1-2a - amd64>

Please read the README file inside the download folder.

The package was prepared to work in Debian based distros and to avoid breakage of packages, the dependencies and additions are archived apart.

Tested:

Debian 8 (Jessie) w/ Gnome
Debian 9 (Stretch) w/ Mate and Cinnamon
MX 17 w/ Xfce
LMDE2 Mate
LMDE3
Mint 19 Cinnamon
Xubuntu 18.4
Ubuntu 18.4

Obs.: In any distro based in Debian 9 and above, video play inside Scrivener may be restricted.

If need any correction, please make me know. Any comment will be very appreciated.

That’s it!
Salutes,
Alex…

EDIT: Tested distros.

1 Like

From a Mint Linux KDE user - thank you.

Thanks , Alexo. I have the Windows version and I was running the Linux version on Mint 18.3. That seemed to work well. Then I installed Mint 19.1 and there was no joy for me there. Your .deb and the dependencies worked like magic.

@joey and @mambassador, thank you for the feedback!! :smiley:

Alexo, I just created an account to thank you for keeping the package alive, and also to thank Lit & Latte for having made this Linux version available (for free no less!).

I have a Scrivener Windows license but recently migrated to Linux. Unfortunately, Scrivener under wine was giving me some trouble (which was very particular to my set-up), so I and am delighted to have found this thread with a native version.

I only wish that the next version of Scrivener could also be ported to Linux one day, though I understand that may be too much of an ask…

I have installed the native Linux version now on Ubuntu 18.04 64bit, and it runs fine. Although I know and I’m able to install Scrivener via WINE, this is not what I want. Simply because I got rid off the Windows stuff more than 3 years ago.
So I will keep this version as long as it runs under Ubuntu.

I will be glad to pay another 25 EUR for a supported native actual Scrivener Linux version.

More and more people – especially the creative ones – see the great value add in Open Systems. As the Apple OS is more or less a UNIX, I don’t think that it is that complicated to produce a UNIX package.

It’s a BSD variant, but the bigger hurdle is Apple’s programming environment, which is rather specific to MacOS.

Thank you for this! Alas, I didn’t see it before I went on a dependency hunt.

I am using MXLinux 18.1 which is based on Debian Stretch (Version 9) and I hit two difficulties with dependencies that you may well have solved. (If only I’d read your post first, Sigh!) Specifically, Scrivener refused to run in MXLinux 18.1, because my installation of MXLinux 18.1 lacked two particular programs/libraries (dependencies) that it needs to do so…

The first concerned “libpng12-so-0”. This is available from the “normal” MXLinux 18.1 repositories by downloading the “libpng12-0” package.

The second was a bit more tricky. It concerned “libgstapp-0.10.so.0”. Supposedly, this dependency is contained in the “libgstreamer0.10-0” and/or the “libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0” packages which are also contained in the MXLinux 18.1 repositories. I installed both of them from the repos, but Scrivener still would not launch. I received the same error indicating that “libgstapp-0.10.so.0” was still missing.

I tried again, instead downloading the packages directly from debian at the following links:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0/download and,
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/libgstreamer0.10-0/download

When I installed these downloaded packages using GDebi, GDebi returned that the packages had already been installed. … but this time when I launched Scrivener it ran. Go figure.

Again, thank you for your work. I post this in the hope that it might be useful to someone. A concern I have going forward is that the dependency issues will grow as Linux is updated. I suppose that is everyone’s concern, too.

It also seems that Apple’s APIs seem to be diverging further over time: Cocoa does not seem to map well onto any Linux APIs.

I am debian 10 , 32bits and want to know from @alexo or other guys if its possible install it in my distro version?

Hi Amiel, yes it is working. I was using it on a Debian 10 (with MATE and Cinnamon), without problems. I have it installed and running on 3 computers, all working, in different distros, Debian 10, Debian 9, Mint 18 (this one is 32bits).

Just as a FYI… this still works with Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. I was able to get it up and running after I got the missing dependencies put in place that were mentioned above. Thank you soooo much for to those who are keeping the information posted to keep this Linux version working!

I can’t stand Windows 10 with all the poor quality control and spying, and with Windows 7 facing end of life, I’ve been migrating to Linux. Even though this is old software, it’s still pretty far ahead of competitors, so I will stick with it for now.

Thanks a lot, Alexo! You did a greaaat job. I have my windows version running under wine, but your version is better.

HI, I have installed the Linux version of Scrivener. But even though I can see the icon on installed file, but the software doesn’t load. Kindly help.
I’m running on 32 bit machine , Debian OS

You probably don’t actually want the Linux version of Scrivener – it’s old enough that there have been a lot of bugfixes, features, and project format changes since that last released version. Most folks who are using Scrivener on Linux these days are doing so by using the current Windows version under WINE.