Linux users--solution for bad pdf rendering

If you are running Scrivener on Linux under Wine and you get bad pdf rendering (jagged, pixelated, faint or unreadable fonts) try installing Quicktime. I used winetricks to install Quicktime 7, and my pdf rendering is now clear and readable. :smiley:

Woohoo! That works! :slight_smile:

I’ll add it to the list of necessary things for the linux install.

Yeah, I really beat my head against the wall on that for a while. I was just sure the problem must be with the Qt poppler libraries. :unamused: I wonder if we can get media (sound / video) files imported into “research” working under Wine? :smiley:

I would’ve guessed quicktime would fix that, since quicktime is kind of a backbone on macs. (Like quantz, which is also required.)

Edit: it might be a wine thing. Maybe we should start a test page for the wine app DB?

Normally I’d say hold off since this is such an early beta, but it’s working so well for us under Wine, why not? Might bring some more Linux users to Scrivener. :smiley:

Not to be a wet blanket on this, but there may be some legal exposure here that L&L needs to vet with counsel. I am not sure of their position but I have provided them some information regarding the possible exposures.

A few points that I would make to explain the above:

1. I fully support the concepts behind wine.
  2. As a company, L&L needs to be a bit more careful than an individual when it comes to appearing to support any activity that violates any EULA or AUP. Certain activities used to get scriv working in wine may do this.
  3. I am certain that L&L support the concept of the effort, but based on company size and pervious conversations there may not be adequate resources for officially supporting this activity (both technical and legal).
  4. I am not affiliated with L&L in any way other than as a user and occasional contributor of support. As such, L&L may take any position they desire.

It might be worthwhile to get an official position from the L&L team before we expose them to any potential legal issues. At worst, this would mean that Linux/Wine issues would need to be addressed off the L&L boards. L&L/KB will really need to be the decision makers on this.

OK! Added my test data, and it’ll (hopefully) be added after being reviewed! :slight_smile: I’ll post a link when that happens.

I signed up to be a maintainer, but I’m fine with other people using other distros also volunteering, since I’ve only ever used slackware and debian.

If Lee is really using Qt and C++, it might be possible to port it over to Linux given a few more years.

If I am believing it to be the same Qt that Lee is referring to, Qt is a cross-platform framework. Sure, Lee should be working on the Windows version now, but we might expect a Linux release in the future. We might. I can’t guarantee it it, but with Ubuntu’s software centre beginning to allow purchasable applications, it might be feasible.

Could you possibly be more specific about your concerns here? If you have clear, supportable evidence that we are violating a EULA, I will withdraw from this message board and delete my copy of Scrivener (and though I am a Linux user, I fully intended to purchase a license for Scrivener when they became available). Also, I’d like to know if you are addressing only users in the United States, or the entire international community, since copyright laws vary from one country to another.

Though it would be wonderful, I never expected a Linux port. We’re such a tiny market, I realize we would probably be more trouble than we are worth. I, for one, would be willing to purchase Scrivener through the Ubuntu software center–I was planning to purchase a license for Scrivener for Windows. However, the insinuation that we Linux users are exposing L&L to legal issues has made me have serious second thoughts. I don’t want to make trouble for a company I respect. :cry:

Er, we’re not. We’re not modifying the program in any way. When I’ve spoken to people at L&L, they’ve been clear that linux/wine aren’t supported and that we’re on our own as far as tech support is concerned, but if you run linux, that’s something you expect. If anything, I’ve found nothing but encouragement from them.

Well, 4-5 years ago (?), no one really expected a Windows version of Scrivener since, IIRC, it was made clear that there was no Windows version. Yet here we are now, testing it and smacking bugs.

It is hard to tell what the future will hold. I’m not going to say that there will be a Linux version, but the usage of Qt sounds a little more promising than using some other framework. The attempts to get it to run under WINE has been excellent and effective so far, so even in that regard, Scrivener could pretty much work on Ubuntu and any other Linux Distro that supports recent WINE versions given how you people have gotten it to work.

I can’t see it myself. Unless the EULA of one of the ingredients in the mix (such as QuickTime) expressly forbids use under WINE (I can’t think of any specific examples where I’ve seen this) then the simple fact that having it present on the system solves the problem is incredibly unlikely to be an issue for L&L.

I’m no legal expert, but my spider-sense doesn’t tingle in the slightest over anything written thus far in the forums regarding WINE.

Maybe Jaysen knows something I don’t, so lets see what L&L have to say on the matter.

Eddy

Apparently, Jaysen has some sort of issues with Linux / Wine usage that he didn’t feel moved to elaborate on in his first post. Instead of posting the specifics here where we Linux users could discuss what our alternatives are, he went to L&L and told them “there may be some legal exposure here that L&L needs to vet with counsel”.

That’s exactly the sort of issue that keeps me away from proprietary, closed source software.

I have looked forward to trying Scrivener for literally years. I have been very impressed with it as a writing tool thus far. I would hate to have to delete it, but I will not be responsible for causing negative “legal exposure” to L&L.

It’s been a labor of love, getting Scrivener to work on Wine. And it’s a terrific program. I hope I’ll be able to continue using it. :slight_smile:

This. Since L&L has made it clear that Linux is not supported, it’s tough to see how any attempts to run Scrivener under Linux could cause legal difficulty for L&L.

(I am neither a lawyer nor affiliated with L&L. But then neither is Jaysen.)

Katherine

As of right now, I wouldn’t worry too much over the legal issue, unless it has to do with proprietary software (Quicktime?) working in WINE, which I don’t think is necessarily a violation of their EULA or otherwise. I could be wrong though, so don’t quote me on this.

As for getting the PDF reader to work, has anyone tried installing Adobe’s PDF reader, or some media codecs into WINE? Scrivener might be needing these to get those components to work. Try it, if you can, as a means of troubleshooting.

Keep in mind that until the final release and the actual release, I don’t think it is Lee’s priority to fix any Linux/WINE specific bugs. Testing it now is good, but don’t get your hopes up if the issues aren’t fixed,

:slight_smile: I hope that’s the case, and I look forward to hearing from L&L that we can hang around and keep discussing ways to make Linux + Wine + Scrivener work.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Naw, installing native quicktime files fixed the PDF rendering issue.

I’d suggest we move the linux threads to tech support, so as not to clutter up the bug forum. Can this be done? :slight_smile:

What we need is our own section of the forum so that A. we can stop bothering Windows users and B. we can be easily and completely deleted if it turns out we are evil EULA-defying rebels. :smiling_imp: