Lions and binders and fingers, oh my!

I’ve developed a bad habit in my use of Scrivener, and I think it’s a result of Lion’s dextrous features. It’s a swipe thing, or a gesture thing. I call it the “three finger drag,” and it is a drag.

Here’s what happens. I’m working deep down into the binder when it dawns on me that I need to see some info way higher up the binder ladder. What to do? Well, obviously, with Lion you can choose to move the elevator bar with two fingers or three. I use three. Bad choice, bad finger! I’m often moving so quickly (and accomplishing so little… not your fault, Scrivener) that my fingers slip over into the binder’s subfiles and one of them vanishes! Understand, what I’ve done is to accidentally latch onto a scene with my sticky three-finger drag; then, in the same instant I inadvertently fling it somewhere deep into another file, where it disappears. And it disappears because I never saw a) which file I snagged with that bad finger, and b) I have no idea where I’ve hurled it, or where it’s landed.

The solution is obvious, and I will cut off my middle finger. However, I do wonder if any other users have encountered this same problem and have found a solution. Or am I destined to be the only Scrivener user unable to flip the bird?

Have you tried two-finger scrolling instead of manipulating the scrollbar manually with dragging? Forming a habit of scrolling with two fingers (hovering anywhere over the rectangular area you wish to scroll) would help avoid this sort of thing. I think your troubles might be in a minority though, as I think most people have this set to “Navigate” which means flipping through photos, browser Back/Forward, that sort of thing.

You might consider installing BetterTouchTool. A Mac multi-touch pad without that utility is like using an iPod Touch to just play music. :slight_smile: One thing you can do with it is set up Application X to not use a certain gesture that other applications (even all the rest) do.

As for Scrivener, if by magic you do manage to catch even a few letters of the item that was whisked away, you could use the handy Edit/Find/Find Synopsis tool (^⌘G) to tap in a few letters of a title or index card content. If you find it in the list, Tab down and hit ⌘⌥R to reveal it.