List indents

Hi,

I do not want my lists to have indents - how do I remove them (I mean on the editing pages - not compiling)

Thanks,

Mike

It isn’t possible to customise the layout generator for lists in the editor alone. You could strip out the extraneous tab characters when compiling, using Replacements, that’s the best I can offer. The list tool is a black box provided by the text engine, we don’t have any control over how it works.

Hi Amber,

Well that’s pretty disappointing - when writing a technical manual, for instance, that’s quite a serious limitation.

I would expect a tool like Scrivener to give you better control over what you are seeing on the page - before you get to the compiling stage.

Thanks,

Mike

Scrivener’s ‘working philosophy’ is that the ideas and the words come first, and the formatting and layout later. Although its presentation of documents on the screen, as well as on the page, has become more flexible over time, the work required to amend the text engine it uses is often huge and time-consuming, and the development team is very small, and so it’s no surprise that the team has to prioritise very carefully where it places its efforts - even though the choices may not be what some users want. (They didn’t stop the Scrivener Manual being written with Scrivener, several years ago.)

Very helpful - moved me forward a lot. Thanks.

Playing with this a bit further, the main problem is that we have this Tab+Bullet+Tab pattern that cannot be customised. However we do have complete control over tab stops. So in effect, you could arrange for bullets to look different by moving the tab stops around until the indent is “gone”.

You could open the ruler and drag little symbols around, but I think in this case it would be easier to use the Format/Text/Tabs and Indents… tool. Here you can precisely set the left indent to match the second tab top, and essentially remove the first tab stop by setting its value to 0.01cm. I set the second tab stop (and left indent) to 0.4cm.

Next you would want to enshrine that in a preset. Use Format/Formatting/New Preset from Selection for that. Now use this preset instead of the list tool to start your bullet list.

Hi Amber,

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a go.

Cheers,

Mike

nb. I actually do enjoy using Scrivener.! :slight_smile: