Lists

I would love to have a more powerful way to generate lists. I love the ability to mark something as To Do with the tags, and I know there is a listing feature with little bubbles or whatever other symbol, but I would really like something (a box, a circle, whatever) I could add a check mark into so I could see what I have already To Done for a particular section at a glance.

Josh, you already have the means to do this. In the Inspector, click on the Outline drop-down menu and release at Edit… Then change those elements to labels that suit your working methods.

You might have one label called To Do and another called Done. The ones I use are Notes, Outline, First Draft, Revised Draft, and Final Draft. After doing that, just set the Outline label to whatever is appropriate. You may do this either in the Inspector or in the Outliner view.

Yeah, I don’t think that is quite what I’m after. What I was trying to describe is more of a meta-list of things to do for either the entire manuscript or for individual portions (chapters/scenes/etc.), that could be stored in the notes for a given portion. Something that would look like this:

[check box] Establish relationship between Joey and Mark

[check box] Place weapon at the scene of crime

[check box] Link Jessica to Mark in childhood-maybe through flashback

[check box] Review crime scene forensic information for consistency

Etc.

Does this make sense? That way I could work on those things individually and then leave the manuscript for a while (which I often have to do) without forgetting what I have done and what I have still to do because I would check off each one as I did it.

I think what Howarth is getting at here is that Scrivener already has an outliner built into the application.

Click in the background of the Binder so that nothing is selected. Now press Cmd-Opt-N to make a new folder and call it “ToDo”. With the ToDo folder selected, tap Cmd-1 to switch to Outliner view. Tap enter to make a new item in the list, and enter again to finish editing. You can keep pressing enter like this to create items.

Then, using labels as Howarth suggests, you can use them as your “Checkbox”:

Here is an example where the top one is “Done” and the rest of “ToDo”. Note you can even make sections in the Outliner easily. If you make a special label just for “ToDos” you can stick them anywhere in the Binder without getting them confused with regular parts of the book. I reuse the same “Done” label that I use for drafts, but you could make a special one (or just delete tasks when finished with them).

You could, if you wanted, go right ahead and insert further notes into the Synopsis or Notes field for each line item. These examples are all straight forward, but I know there are times when I like to explain the situation to my future self; especially if I know the task is going to sit around for a while. Turning on the Synopsis column makes this kind of “Headliner+Notes” function pretty useful.

Another possibility to use checkmarks: See here.