Literature and WHAT?

I hope you don’t mind my saying this, but what on earth possessed you to choose THAT name for the web-site? Maybe it’s because I lived in Italy for ten years, but I would never have associated “latte” with literature. It’s just the Italian word for milk – if you ask for it in an Italian bar, they will give you a nice innocuous glass of precisely that. In the winter, they will probably ask you if you want it hot or cold. Now, literature and WINE I really can see together – preferably red wine… That’s a proper drink for a writer… Not some wishy-washy stuff out of a cow. And if you’re thinking of caffelatte, that’s something you have at breakfast to dunk your brioche in. Ask for it after about 10.30 in the morning and they will think you’re mad. No, no – you must drink wine or espresso at the very least if you want to write… Unless you prefer the Johnsonian brandy.

Best wishes,

Martin BB

Martin, please read the About page or the Readme file of Scrivener. Both explain why I chose Literature & Latte as a title; it’s not like the answer to your question is difficult to find. Yes, “latte” is just milk in Italy. But in any coffee shop in the UK or the US, you ask for a latte and it means milky coffee. More importantly, I like the title, and frankly I don’t really care whether anyone else does or not; the only business of anybody else is whether Scrivener does its job or not. But like I say, please check the About page or the readme file where you will find the full answer regardless.
Best,
Keith

P.S. So I guess my answer translates as, I actually do mind you saying it. :slight_smile:

Ah, language. With the rise of Starbucks & Co. the word “latte” has started to be used in German as a synonym for “coffee with milk”, too. But it’s kind of strange, because there’s already a German word “Latte”. It means “batten” (at least I hope so, I had to look it up in a dictionary). But that’s not the funny part. Actually “Latte” is also a slang word for “hard-on”. So imagine saying to the Starbucks girl: “Please give me a hard-on…”

Now that makes me like the name even more - Literature & Erection!

At least, Scrivener will become a favorite of hardcore writers…

No, Keith. No no no.
Please.

Literature and Lubricity,
or Licentiousness,
or Lewdness,
or Lechery,
or Libido,
or Lust.

Keep the alliteration.

Mes ami !!!
Mon dieu!!! Mon Dieu!!!
What filth is this I see before me!
Tres bon! Tres bon! Il est Fantastique!!

Le Directeur

I really like the name “Literature and Latte.” It just oozes class. And hasn’t great English literature always been associated with the coffee house?

Or the ale house.

Literature and Lager. Damn it, I missed a trick on that one. Literature & Lowenbrau. Literature & Leglessness.
Fi!

Ostrega! Una risposta da Recanati – ci viveva un vero scrittore…

Sorry, Keith: I wasn’t being one hundred percent serious when I posed the question – certainly not serious enough to expect a serious answer! But I still think wine or espresso are more inspirational – not to mention the brandy. Then again, “latte” seems to be a relatively new fashion, so I’m probably just showing my age. If this site had been put up forty years ago (no internet then, of course) I suspect it might have been Lit and LSD. (What would a stoned emoticon look like, I wonder?)

Best wishes,

Martin BB.

Actually, I think it’s the insurance industry that’s associated with coffee houses. Literature and Lager – now that I really like…

Martin.

Pardon me, but I do my best writing in coffee houses, and I have nothing to do with the insurance industry! :smiley: I wrote the entire third chapter of my (very successful) dissertation at my favorite coffee house and yes…they serve many lattes. Portland, Oregon, is a haven for latte drinkers and the name Literature and Latte makes all the sense in the world to me! Of course, the key there is ‘to me,’ since I definitely recognize that those that reside in other places ‘in the world’ may not find it so!

And I hate beer. Okay, so sue me. Even the smell of it makes me nauseous. And wine gives me a headache. I know this is blasphemy on this forum and Monsieur Le Directeur will surely lose interest in me directly knowing that I can’t stomach even one little glass of juicy red wine (blood red!). But what can a girl say but the truth???

I say, long live “Literature and Latte”!!! Now if I really wanted to state my preference, it would be Literature and Jasmine, which is really quite terrible, so let’s stick with Latte!

Alexandria

Martin, it’s still me. I’m not died, as I managed to let others believe. During these years I worked at a pizza and piadina shop with my friend Giordani. But now I’m back - I was really sick of all that Coke with pizza; now I can finally freely sip wine - or latte!

By the way, these are my far descendants:
leopardiwines.com/vini.htm

I find them really inspirational…

Giacomo

As an ex-drinker, I admit most of my early work has been written in wineries or restaurants, or after a night at the pub. Now I no longer drink, but still write at a restaurant’s or pizzeria’s table, possibly with a couple glasses of red wine (two of my favourite for writing being a red spumante typical of my area, the Vernaccia di Serrapetrona, and another typical red wine called Lacrima di Morro d’Alba).

During my repeated stays in Paris, I always spent my free time sitting at a brasserie, sipping Pastis with a lot of water. Probably, the high price of wine in that town precluded me my favourite drink.

While in Berkeley, CA, I loved to be next to a glass of white Californian wine. I spent two weeks without drinking anything, then I discovered the right places, claiming for something in a glass. I also found several good beers in San Francisco, but beer is my preferred drink for conversation, not writing.

As for latte (or caffelatte, or caffè macchiato, as we call it here) I really don’t drink it. Here is an Italian who don’t like coffee too much, and can’t stand for some of the Starbuck-type cappuccino (made by Nestlé) they offer in most places. But I can understand a true cappuccino can be a work of art.

So, I go for the evocative Scrivener metaphor, but not with the Latte one…

Paolo

So to summarize this thread it could be assumed that

If you use Scrivener in a german coffee house and your thinking of italy while you are talking with the coffee shop girl you may have a milky hard-on that is coffee, brandy, wine, and beer flavored which could cause injury from all the coke and pizza which would refer you to the insurance industry leading to lewd literature usage in your next project.

I wonder if this is how romance novels are written?

On a more serious note

Literature & Latte fits. The “coffe shop” feel of reading and writing seem to fit niche quite well.

PS: in closing here is a “stoned” icon previously requested earlier in the thread.
:mrgreen:

This thread delivers :slight_smile: I laughed so hard Latte came out of my nose!

[i]“It’s never to late to have a happy childhood”

“Humor is the best offense in the universe”[/i]