Location Slider on a Kindle

I’ve compiled an ebook for Kindle and the location slider along the bottom isn’t accurate. When you turn just one page, the number on the page number slider jumps by around 20 pages each time. So for instance, page 5 says 23 in the slider, and then the very next page, the one that should be page 6, shows that it’s page 42, and so on. Because of these massive page number skips, my 525 page novel is coming up as 7200 pages even on an ipad. I’ve only seen one other book with this problem, so if you want to see what I mean, check out “The Assassin and the Pirate Lord,” by Sarah J. Maas and watch what the location slider numbers do as you turn pages. And the problem starts when the body of the book starts. It doesn’t seem to be off for the first few pages of the book (title page, TOC, etc.). All other books I’ve opened are fine, so I know there’s some sort of compiling issue going on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I’m not sure what you are referring to here. The location slider doesn’t count pages, and there isn’t any such thing as a fixed page anyway. Try bumping up the font size to maximum and now you have to flip screens several times to read all of the text that fit on the original default screen. Because of this problem, Amazon uses a fixed-width unit of measurement called Locations. If I remember right these are about 128 letters long (spaces included). Consequently, books will have many thousands of locations in them. It also means that any citation using a location reference number can bring you within sentences of thing you wanted to reference, no matter if you are reading on a tiny little iPhone, or the Kindle DX. A location will always go to the same sentence.

So, I’m confused when you say that you’ve only seen a +thousand location book only once before.

I guess the confusing thing here is that most of the books I bought through Amazon are somehow utilizing the slider as page count, not as a location indicator. The front pages render the slider as a location indicator, but when the first chapter starts the slider turns into page count. So I expected my personal ebook to function the same. I would have thought the slider would be part of the Kindle app and, therefore, would be used in the same way for every book. Apparently, not. Most of the books I’ve read list page numbers in accordance with the slider, NOT location numbers. If that’s not possible, then I’m not quite sure how they accomplished this in the books I have on my kindle. “Throne of Glass” by Sarah J. Maas does this and so does “Haven” by A.R. Ivanovich (and I bought these books straight from Amazon). Once you reach the first chapter, the slider along the bottom changes from locations to pages. Then, when you turn a page, it only advances by one. So when I uploaded my book, it seemed strange that mine was functioning differently. So Scrivener doesn’t allow for this option when compiling? I’m assuming that capability comes from the file itself somehow, and not from the kindle, otherwise every book would be exactly the same. So I thought maybe this would be an option when compiling. You can download a sample of one of those books and jump to a chapter to see what I mean if you’re curious.

Okay, I know what you are talking about. This is Amazon’s “Real Page Number” system which they are using to calibrate e-books with printed books. I’m not sure which they use, probably hardbacks since those come out first, so they won’t obviously match every single book on the market, especially once you get into reprints, but they are paired with one ISBN, so that you can cite stuff in a way that matches one of the paper editions of the book. Consequently the screen flipper on a Kindle might have to go through several screens before a page number increments. That’s something you can’t really predict as some books are printed with larger fonts than others.

At any rate, the key ingredient to this is that the book needs to published in multiple venues for this to work. The page numbers are identified in a sidecar file that is downloaded to the Kindle along with the rest, and Amazon are responsible for generating that.

I do know that there are some third-party hacks to generate pseudo-page numbers. They aren’t really synchronised with anything physical, but if you want the illusion of them, they can provide that. I would check Calibre mods and see if you can come up with something reasonable. I’m not sure if Amazon lets you upload these sidecar files yourself, though. Whatever the case, it wouldn’t be something Scrivener would need to mess with as that is an operation done on the Mobi/KF8 file after it is created, and since there is no official way to do this, it wouldn’t really make sense to code a UI around a bunch of hacks and reverse-engineered scripts, if that could even be done.

Oh okay. I see. I guess maybe it’s best to just leave it as is then. I’ll be selling a physical copy on Amazon as well as the digital copy, so I thought it would be good to have each type match up in that way. But it’s probably a good idea to just leave it as Scrivener compiles it. Thanks for your response! :slight_smile:

Okay, in that case Amazon may very well generate this for you then. It is their goal to increase coverage for the feature as much as possible. There might be a way to request it if there is a print version, that would be something to look into.

Okay! Thanks! I’ll look into that.