Lock Pane, Outline Flexibility

I’m sorry if these features have been requested before, but in the past few days I’ve run into both of them and thought I’d mention it. This seemed like the right place.

1. I started using the split-pane view recently when building up a timeline of my novel. But I kept clicking to a new document while my insertion point was in the wrong pane! I was wondering if there might be an option to lock a particular pane to a single document, or alternately to make one pane the target of all the clicks in the left-side documents.

2. I use the outline view in Scrivener all the time. But it does seem… limited. If there’s a way to add new column entries of types that I define, I can’t figure out how. It’s not a huge thing, but it does mean I end up using Labels and the like for all sorts of crazy things in order to shoehorn my data into my outline while I’m working. (I realize I could use a regular outliner, but the outline view is one of the reasons I abandoned BBEdit and OmniOutliner for Scrivener.)

There, I feel much better.

You are all set for #1, on both counts. Simply press Cmd-Opt-L to lock the current pane you are working it. The colour of the header bar will change to indicate that it is locked. Additionally, in the View menu, under “Binder Affects…” sub-menu, you can set up whether the Binder interacts with one split or the other.

For #2—no there isn’t currently any way to make your own columns. You might look in to keywords?

Cmd-Opt-L! Huzzah! Thanks. I thought it seemed obvious, but for the life of me I couldn’t figure it out.

Keywords are not really great for my outlining purposes, though they can sometimes be a workaround.

Thanks for the tips!

-jason

Hi Jason,

Sounds like Amber has already pointed out that 1. is already in there, so you’re good to go there.

No. 2 has come up a few times, actually. The trouble is that the inspector is supposed to represent just about anything that can go into the outline view, so making it customisable could be problematic in that it would be the only place in the app that would show certain data. There’s also some technical difficulties in the way I’ve built it, in that the columns are pretty-much hard-coded in the current implementation… It’s definitely something I’ll look at in future, but I’m not sure the current architecture will make it possible for a 1.x release, where the outliner has been built around the built-in data structure.

Thanks for all your ongoing support of Scrivener!
All the best,
Keith