Long Documents

Greetings!
A quick question, please: working with long documents is a headache in MS Word 2010 (especially it’s faulty sub-document feature).

I am on the verge of buying Scrivener for Windows, but I was wondering how it handles very long documents, say ones that are 2,000-3,000 pages long, but without the program slowing down to a crawl?

This is something we’re working on right now. As it stands, if you downloaded the trial right now and tried to pump that many pages into it, you’d probably find it to be unworkably slow to type in at that scale, especially on low-end machines. We have a very promising lead for fixing this and hope to have it all in for 1.0. So you might want to download the demo on the 7th when it comes out and see how it works for you. It might be a bit slow until you get the long manuscript chopped up a bit into smaller pieces in the binder.

OK. If the very long document is “chopped up into smaller pieces in the binder,” will the pieces be globally searchable and editable, so to speak. In MS Word 2010, global editing (across sub-documents) results in all kinds of problems. I am looking for a robust word processor that can handle very long documents, without, as I said above, slowing down too much.

Yes. Long documents cut into small pieces is Scrivener’s main use case. It’s very good at it.

Katherine

While you wait for the the fix & 1.0, you should take a look at the introductory video, to see how Scrivener is designed to be used. It’ll make getting up and running much smoother. literatureandlatte.com/video.php

The vid is for the Mac version, but it will give you a good overview of what the Windows version can or will be able to do.