Lost content updating to 3.1.3

After I updated to 3.1.3 I got a popup saying there were two versions of my document and that I needed to pick one. I accidentally clicked on the wrong one and lost several weeks of work. It was my bad for not backing up, but is there any way to restore the lost work?
I have checked my trash and nothing is there. What did it do with the newer version?

Scrivener’s automatic backups can be found by going to the Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups pane, and opening the backup folder in Finder. I’d suggest moving the entire contents of that folder to another location before reviewing the files to see which version you want.

The 3.1.3 update did not cause the problem: 3.1.3 makes no changes to the project or the project format. However, it’s possible that re-starting Scrivener caused a pre-existing conflict to reveal itself. That might happen if, for instance, you routinely leave Scrivener running on the Mac but had also edited the project on another device.

Katherine

Hi, this is the Mac forum and you’re apparently a Windows user, so you should be posting to the appropriate Windows forum.

But the answer to your question is probably, "Choose ‘Backup Now’ ". On the other hand, when you installed Scrivener, you should have set it to backup to a designated folder automatically every time you pause typing—default 2 seconds. But if you don’t remember where those backups are being stored, I’ll let someone who’s better acquainted with the Windows version advise you.

:slight_smile:

Mark

In both the Mac and Windows versions, “Backup Now” creates a backup to whatever your automatic backup location might be. It’s a good choice if you want to make sure you have a backup before a major reorganization of the project, for example.

“Backup To” allows you to choose an alternative location. It’s the best choice if you want to transfer the project to another computer or email it to someone. It’s also a good idea to use this command if you are having an issue that causes your automatic backups to be untrustworthy for whatever reason. (Problem with the computer, confusion about which version is which, major synchronization conflicts, that sort of thing.)

Katherine

This is not accurate. The autosave feature saves the current project to its default location. It DOES NOT create an independent backup copy, and the autosave feature does not eliminate the need for a robust backup strategy.

Katherine