Lost day work :( Help please!

Hi, I´ve been using Scrivener for some months now, and I´ve found it wonderfull. But today I´ve had a HUGE problem.
I´m writing a PhD thesis… and I was writing a chapter´s section which took me most of the day. I was finishing off a table, when it occurred to me that the numbers I had on that table could clearer if I would calculate percentages and put them in a column next to the original numbers. The top and bottom rows of the table were with merged cells as they contained data such as title and sources.
Well, at the time i clicked on a central column and added a new column, it made a real mess out of the table… I tried to Undo this mess many times buy nothing seemed to happen. Then i tried to delete a column, which the program did, but afterwards the content of the columns was messed up. Anyway I tried to complete the columns where the data was lost, and, without thinking I pressed the button “Split at selection”. (By now you should know that my first language is not english… )
At that point, i dont know what happened as I was still focussed on the table I was trying to complete. But some seconds after that, I realised the whole section I had spend the entire day writing was mostly gone. I had one paragraph left , and 2 more documents with the same name: one that I still don´t know what it is (the icon is a shorter and wider sheet of paper, more like a card file) and the other is a document with a very small piece of what was written in the section I was working on… After that I panicked, I tried to close the program, and when it started to say it was making a back up, I aborted it (thinking I didn´t want to save the last changes…) Anyway… I tried to find the lost content on all the copies I found of my project (in dropbox, in backup files) and it´s not there…
I know it´s probabbly lost for good, but hope remains… and anyway, maybe you can help me to avoid making the same mistakes again! -.-
Thanks,
Silvina

Hi Silvina,

The Split at Selection command divides the document into two, with all text before the insertion point or selection remaining in the original document and all text after it becoming a new document. In the case of working in a table as it sounds like you may have been, the table should be kept all together, so the entire table will be part of the new document even if your cursor position wasn’t at the top of the table.

The new document will use the same title as the original document but with a -1 appended to the end. It will come just after the original document in the list in the binder on the left of the editor. With the focus in the editor in that document, choose View > Reveal in Binder to select the document in the list. The item above it should be the original document, and if you click to load it in the editor, you should see the rest of your text from before the split. You mentioned seeing multiple documents with the same name, but I’m not completely clear if you checked all of these and saw what should have been the document with text before the split yet it was missing some?

Something else you could try is using the project search in the main toolbar to look for some of the specific text in the document. That may pull it up in the search results list in the binder, and you could then select it and use Reveal in Binder to figure out where it’s located and move it to the correct position if necessary.

You can also merge the two documents back together by selecting them both in the binder and using Documents > Merge, or you can leave them be and let them just come back together during the compile stage, depending on the settings you’re using there for separating documents.

This is the index card icon, indicating that the item has a synopsis (appears on an index card in the inspector or when viewing the file on the corkboard) but does not have any main document text. Page 62 in the user manual (available from the Help menu) provides a complete list of the different text item icons and their meanings.

Saving changes and making a backup are separate. Scrivener always saves changes when closing–it autosaves regularly when you’re working, as well–but it also by default creates a complete project backup on close, a zipped copy of the project saved in your user AppData folder. (You can adjust these settings within the Backup tab of Tools > Option.) To keep versions of a text in Scrivener, you can use the Documents > Snapshots tool while working, letting you roll back to an earlier version of that document. The snapshots feature is described in section 15.6 of the user manual if you’re interested.

It sounds like the text was all from the current session, so unless you were creating backups throughout the day while you were working, it sounds like the word was all more recent than your last backup would’ve been. You mentioned Dropbox here though–are you keeping the live project in Dropbox? If so, you may be able to find an earlier version of the individual RTF file from when you were working during the day and be able to recover the file from the Dropbox website, assuming you haven’t found it in a split document in the current copy of the project.