Lost file, can't imagine how this is possible

So I’ve been working with a group where we have to email each other some writing from our prose projects daily, every single day. I’ve done this, and as a result have made changes to several scenes. I can’t find the current scene from which I sent the last extract to the group (yesterday!). I don’t think it’s possible to close Scriv without those changes saved, or the whole new version scene lost? Search strings aren’t surfacing it, not even from trash, and I’ve even tried going through all my Scriv docs to see if I somehow copied that scene over to there. I think I can reconstruct my work from my emails, but I am trying to figure out how this could even have happened? I haven’t used snapshots, because for me, duplicate file usually works if I am trying to save old content. Ideas for where else I can look? Are there enough backups saved, or does it roll over your backup each time it closes? It just doesn’t seem possible within the logic of the program…

I’m using Win 10 and I think the latest version of Scriv for Win (not seeing how to find this info in Windows as yet). I thought I had updated to Win 11, but I just got a message asking me to update, which I have not done yet due to issues with the native camera (I had rolled back what I thought was just the camera driver, but maybe I rolled back the whole OS. This is an aside just in case it helps somehow.

I also can’t access my backup files. It shows me where they are and opens the folder but when I click on the file it says it can’t access it.

And the changes from the last scene are fine. Just this one is missing several days’ worth of changes, although when I opened it yesterday and made yesterday’s changes the doc file was intact.

If you sent it to someone, you and that person still have it in the method used to send it. No?

Isn’t it still intact? Did you delete the Word file?

Sure, the content is extractable (though not formatted) from an email… just copied and pasted each day’s work from the scriv file into email.

So I can get it back, but it doesn’t answer the question of why this happened, or how I can access my backup files–what’s wrong with the system that I can’t access them? Any of them?

It was just in a Windows Email file. Copied from the Sriv scene day by day. So, YES, I can retrieve that content but WHY did this happen and HOW do I open the backups? Thx.

User error, almost certainly. To be any more specific, I’d have to see it. We can do a Zoom if you want.

My Assistance

Also, I’m not sure this is related, but ever since I switched to windows, it says creating a backup file whenever I close, and takes a long time, whereas with Mac it would just say backing up to… and do it lightning fast… I’m running Windows on a Surface Pro 7 which only has a few programs on it, so it shouldn’t be slow.

I’m sure it’s user error somehow, but I’m not sure how scriv even allows this to happen. It doesn’t fit with my experience over many years of use.

Anyway, zoom would be great.

It’s not letting me click zoom or anything on your my assistance page. Using Edge with https everywhere, though I don’t think that’s the problem–it usually tells me when I have to disable http everywhere.

My doc file I mean the document file/scene in Scriv. It was intact when I opened it yesterday, but today all the changes to that file/scene over the past week or so are gone.

just can’t figure out how to get to a zoom with you. happy to donate!

A dozen messages here won’t help. You never should have switched to Windows. Doesn’t the Surface Pro support everything Windows supports, including Zoom?

Try Facebook Messenger, until we get Zoom working.

Sure, it supports Zoom. I just thought that square for a zoom session is something I was supposed to click! Figured it out. FB msg sent. But Freedom is blocking FB on my laptop, so it’s all phone. I can zoom on laptop. As for why I switched there are certainly some things about Scriv for Win that I resent, actually, but overall I love the Surface much better than the Mac.

That’s the opposite of freedom, clearly.

[quote=“Claudia, post:15, topic:125011, full:true”]
Sure, it supports Zoom. I just thought that square for a zoom session is something I was supposed to click! Figured it out. FB msg sent. But Freedom is blocking FB on my laptop, so it’s all phone. I can zoom on laptop. As for why I switched there are certainly some things about Scriv for Win that I resent, actually, but overall I love the Surface much better than the Mac.
[/quo

whatever. it keeps me from wasting time in the afternoons.

check your fb messages

Windows allows you to browse inside a .zip archive, but Scrivener can’t open a project until you extract it. Right-click, and select “extract all.” Before that, I’d copy your backups to a separate location, as it’s not a great idea to open/edit projects in the place where new backups are made/deleted by Scrivener.

1 Like