Lost files after crash

I’ve seen this post several times where the computer crashes and Scrivener files are missing. I was able to find quite a bit of what I lost already. I’ve looked through the search.indexes of three different backups and I’ve looked through the individual .rtf files but I’m still missing some data.

One of these .rtf files also corrupted and is nothing but squares, and the section is blank on the search.indexes, so any ideas there?

The reason I think all is not lost for the rest of the missing text, is if I search my manuscript in Scrivener for a term like ‘Mexico,’ it brings up pages from the older backup that do not currently contain that word. In the lost version however, it would have contained that word. Leading me to believe that the text still exists somewhere but I just can’t seem to find it. Also, oddly, the backup seems to have my most recent changes, but not the next most recent changes.

I know that this probably isn’t relevant, but I am also getting the “Errors reading project. Error: Error reading template info: Line:1 Column:2 Error:1” message whenever I open Scrivener.

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to save my work!

When you refer to backups, do you mean complete project backups such as the automatic backups Scrivener saves to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Scrivener\Scrivener\Backups? I’m confused why you’d be recovering text from the search.indexes files of a full backup rather than just restoring the text directly from the project document, so I’m wondering if you’re referring to something else.

I’m also not sure what you mean by the backup having your most recent changes but not the next most recent changes. Do you mean that on day 1 you made change X to the project and then saved a backup and on day 2 you made change Y and saved a backup and now the backup you’re looking at has only change Y but not change X? If that’s the case, it sounds like you may have been working in two distinct copies of the project, e.g. if you had used Save As at some point and then made one change, then the next day opened the original copy of the project and made the second change. In that case, maybe some of the missing text is in a different set of backups? Have you tried searching your drive (or any external drives) just for the .scriv extension to see if there are copies of your project saved somewhere you’d forgotten about?

Within the project folder, text would only be saved within the files in the Files/Docs folder or in the search.indexes file. The search index is only updated and saved when the project closes. If you haven’t found the missing text in either of those places and it was newly added that session, so not included in a previous backup, then I’m afraid it’s gone. :frowning:

The error message is easily fixed by just deleting the templateinfo.xml file that was damaged in the crash. This is just a convenience file that auto-populates the fields in the Save As Template dialog, so you may not ever even need it, but it will be recreated if you do use Save As Template in the future. To delete the file:

1. Close the project.
  2. Open Windows Explorer and locate the project’s .scriv folder on your hard drive.
  3. Navigate into the “Settings” sub-folder.
  4. Delete the file called “templateinfo.xml”.

Once you’ve done this, you should be able to reopen the project without seeing the error.