lost italics due to font-activation error

I had a computer crash and transferred everything over to my new laptop. As part of the hurdle of getting the new computer up and running, I’ve run into font-management problems that have more or less now been resolved. Except I had to kind of start over from scratch. So I reactivated Adobe Garamond Pro, which is what I had my manuscript in, and somehow I hadn’t done it quite right, and I only had the regular weight activated, none of the bolds, italics, etc.

So I got into Scrivener and suddenly found the problem since all my italics had disappeared. I fixed the font problem, but the italics had permanently disappeared.

Fortunately I had a recent backup so I recovered 99% of the formatted draft, but for a few minutes I faced going back and putting all my italics back in – in a 110,000-word draft.

Any way to prevent this in the future?

I doubt it… Fonts are handled at the system level, not by Scrivener, so I’m not sure exactly what happened here. Presumably when you opened your project, the underlying OS X text system realised that not all of the fonts were available so substituted them for ones that were. When the project got saved, the previous font information was then overwritten with the substituted information. This is just an educated guess, mind. So there’s not really much you can do to prevent it other than ensure that all fonts are activated properly before opening a project…
All the best,
Keith

The first question is did you apply italic or bold to a default font in scrivener (ie. ⌘+B or ⌘+I) or did you apply another font or style to gain the italic or bold?

The reason I ask is if you applied it using the ⌘+B or ⌘+I then it (the system) would apply a Bold or Italic Font if available in the font selected if he font is substituted and the substituted font does NOT have a BOLD or ITALIC format available it will default back to “normal” and the BOLD or ITALIC “disappears”.

One way to check is to copy a small section containing both the body text and some bold or italic and paste it into a new document. Then change the font to one that has a bold or italic available (like helvetica) and the applied Bold or italic should reappear.

In your case take the back up copy and make “test” copy. Make a new style using Helevitca and apply that style to the whole TEST copy and all your applied italics and bolds should “reappear”.

Once you have checked it. Quit all applications and open Font Book and make sure the desired font (ADobe Garamond Pro) is activated and that it also has a bold and italic activated inside that same font.

Once that is checked and confirmed to be working also make sure you do not have any font duplicates (resolve duplicates).

Then open Scrivener and open your TEST copy and make a new default style using the desired font (Garamond) and apply it to the whole document and your italics and bolds should return as normal.

If you actually chose another font for bold or italic instead of using an applied effect (⌘+b or ⌘+i) then you will have a font subsition issue which would pose a different problem altogether.

An applied effect (⌘+b or ⌘+i) is independent of the actual font and is actually contained in the formatting of the text. That is why you can change fonts and bolds remain bold and italics remain italics (if the effect font is available). If the effect font is NOT available (example BOLD) then it would appear in the NORMAL font BUT if you changed fonts to one that had the effect available the BOLD would reappear.

if that makes any sense?