Lost Project

I have been using Scrivener for Windows with the NaNoWriMo free trial. I have two separate projects – one for my novel, one for writing blog posts.

I wrote last night and saved normally. Then turned off my computer. When I went to open my novel this evening (at 10,000 words currently) Scrivener would not open the file. Eventually it opened, but only takes me to the option to create a new document rather than my writing. Is there any way to restore what I lost?

I know I should have backed it up, but everything was going so well I didn’t think about it. I feel like an idiot, but I don’t know what happened! Help?

How are you attempting to open the project? Are you just relying on the auto-open feature that saves what you were working on the last time? If so, try either using the Recent Projects sub-menu in the File menu, or if it isn’t there, locating the .scriv folder on your disk and navigating into it, then double-click on the .scrivx file.

I tried both ways. For some reason the Scrivener project file purged itself of my novel contents but backed it up in the Docs folder as randomly assigned Word documents. I keep having to re-import them if I want to use Scrivener as a writing tool.

There might be a misunderstanding over what a project is, because when you describe things as having been “purged” into Word files, you are roughly describing the normal state for what a project looks like. It is all stored in clear, standard files like that. The Docs folder is where you material is stored. When you import stuff, that is where it goes.

I don’t think, I could be wrong, but I don’t think there is any purging going on here. It just sounds like the project isn’t opening for some reason. What I would definitely try first is downloading the latest version from the web site. Uninstall the copy you have right now, install this one, and see if that clears it up.

If not, we could take a look at the project for you and fix it. Just send a zipped copy of the entire .scriv folder to support [size=60]at[/size] literatureandlatte [size=60]dot[/size] com.